nfnDrum

Diawa Coastal

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Diawa Coastal spooled with 20# SSV2, Yep! Its a reel and its blue, Must say its a very nice blue. Can you figure out whats wrong in the photo?

Its definitely going to take some getting use too, being my first lefty baitcaster. The handle is allot longer at 100mm vs my CuradoD at 80mm, the deep spool size doesn't seem to be holding me back compared to my curado. Don't spool up in the dark in a dimly lite parking lot. The reel was acting weird, I fished it 8 hrs this weekend until I realized the line was under the bar. Tested it with ever type of lure in the box except pan fish tackle. Fixed the line test cast last night and the reel is obvious smoother now.

Its basically a blue Tatula Elite I may get a shallower spool if i don't end up getting the Elite pitching reel . My primary use will be fresh water but It should do everything i need it too in the salt also. 

IMG_6778.JPG.5424822e9d4cc7edda6be7ef14d6e1a8.JPG

Edited by nfnDrum

Fantastic reel.. I own the previous model.. I've put it through the paces hundreds and hundreds of times. Lots of big fish and little ones.. everal cownose rays this past season..  Boat and kayak. Lots of spray ..

Reel is still in mint condition. 

Great reel. Enjoy it 

Most low profile reels are freshwater reels that people try and use in the salt.  This is a saltwater LP reel that you can use in the fresh at the highest level.  The SV system is awesome.  Check out Brent Ehler talking about how it works.  Look around the 2 minute mark for how to set the spool.  Most people do it wrong.  

Enjoy.

Edited by Shipwreck

12 hours ago, Shipwreck said:

Most low profile reels are freshwater reels that people try and use in the salt.  This is a saltwater LP reel that you can use in the fresh at the highest level.  The SV system is awesome.  Check out Brent Ehler talking about how it works.  Look around the 2 minute mark for how to set the spool.  Most people do it wrong.  

Enjoy.

Very nice!

I've been setting my spool like that since I first got a caster. It just made sense to me that any tighter would apply force on the shaft and any looser would just cause added slop. 

He mentions tying direct to the spool. This spool is smooth, I ran a test with SSV2, put on about 25 yards then applied pressure and the line spun on the smooth spool. Now you have me wondering if their is a hole in the enter groove on the SV spool that i didn't see? 

Edited by nfnDrum

I keep hoping scooby will do a review of all the small casters for saltwater....

Someone recently said to put a wrap of teflon plumbers tape under the spool. No gum up like regular tape. Just tried  it, time will tell