Slowpoke Kid

How did you learn how to build your rod?

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

A couple guys have mentioned NERBS... Does anyone have any contact information or know where and when they have meetings?  I live in RI, and it sounds like this may be right up my alley for the LONG winter ahead!  
Thank for any info anyone has!

KJ

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 9/23/2019 at 8:11 PM, Slowpoke Kid said:

I might have a lot of time on my hands soon and considering to learn how to build my own fishing rod.

I am curious what made you decide to build your own fishing rod and how did you learn?

I am not very good at following instructions from videos, so I wonder what is the best way to see experienced rod builders work in person?

Mike Oliver.     Never built a rod before until I spoke with Mike.   @Oly was such a huge help and a great mentor, from 3,200+ miles away no less.   Walked me through all the details with great patience for every question, silly or not.      Came out great if I don't say so myself.  :)

Edited by HillTop

My uncle told me he'd buy me a steelhead rod for Christmas in 85'. Sure enough there was a box under the tree Christmas morning, in it was a sage gfl 7wt blank, guides, top, thread, an 8oz flex coat kit and a pack of plastic brushes. On the card it said "get to work, you won't be using mine this spring". I figured it out. I used a coffee mug and a phone book for thead tension, and turned the rod by hand on a cardboard box one section at a time. The next year I was building rods for my uncle, my dad, and my cousin. I still build & repair rods for those guys. I'm not a commercial builder even though I work in a shop. I build what I want, for the people I consider worthy. It's a very, very short list.

24 mins ago, Local66 said:

My uncle told me he'd buy me a steelhead rod for Christmas in 85'. Sure enough there was a box under the tree Christmas morning, in it was a sage gfl 7wt blank, guides, top, thread, an 8oz flex coat kit and a pack of plastic brushes. On the card it said "get to work, you won't be using mine this spring". I figured it out. I used a coffee mug and a phone book for thead tension, and turned the rod by hand on a cardboard box one section at a time. The next year I was building rods for my uncle, my dad, and my cousin. I still build & repair rods for those guys. I'm not a commercial builder even though I work in a shop. I build what I want, for the people I consider worthy. It's a very, very short list.

Sounds like a pretty cool uncle.

A friend owned a sporting goods store (hunting and fishing only) in Plymouth. I hung around there when I wasn't bass fishing.

I learned how from him and eventually built rods that he designed for his shop.

I still have a copy of Dale Clemens " Advanced Custom Rod Building" purchased in 1978 when it was first published.   

What many have said - Dale Clemens' "Fiberglass Rod Making" was the book I started with.  Lots of advice from people on forums like this.  YouTube.  Trial and Error.

Best thing I did was start by rebuilding old fiberglass rods I bought super cheap on eBay.  Never sweated the mistakes and learned a lot through good ol' trial and error.

I started because I wanted certain lengths and styles that I couldn't find on the market anywhere. I also wanted custom rod quality and it is cheaper to do it yourself rather then pay someone to make it for you. There is no better feeling than catching a fish on something you built with your own two hands. I learned off of YouTube and the tutorials mud-hole posts. If you do get into it I would suggest starting on a cheap fiberglass blanks. I always have a few from mud hole for trying stuff out on. I think I got them on clearance for like 7 bucks. I would also highly suggest starting on a heavier and thicker blank. The thinner the diameter of the rod the harder it is. I also had issues wrapping the last few guides on rods that have a softer tip in the beginning.

On 1/14/2020 at 3:10 PM, powerplay said:

A couple guys have mentioned NERBS... Does anyone have any contact information or know where and when they have meetings?  I live in RI, and it sounds like this may be right up my alley for the LONG winter ahead!  
Thank for any info anyone has!

KJ

I post events in this forum and on FB when I have them. I've got one with 25 signed up for this Saturday in Staten Island, and the week after at GRumpys in Seaside which will probably have 50 people.

On 9/23/2019 at 8:11 PM, Slowpoke Kid said:

I might have a lot of time on my hands soon and considering to learn how to build my own fishing rod.

I am curious what made you decide to build your own fishing rod and how did you learn?

I am not very good at following instructions from videos, so I wonder what is the best way to see experienced rod builders work in person?

best you learn doing that and document what you taking a part mesure the distance ,thiknes,how many treds.

just get old rod,take a part and put together,you can do that 10 times and be confortable what you doing,what can go wrong ? there is no presure no big money involved,get basic tool and it will cost you only time,tred and epoxy.it will be cheep entertaiment.

take a look you tube making fly any fly and document that on paper,that will help you document rods and anything you like.

#1 puth the hook in wise and put tred on that,mark on the hook where he was working

#2 tie tail marabou  olive/black drew hook and mark where he was working

#3 make loop 4" use dubing

#4 tie flash letheral line

#5 head

#6 eyes.

do few videos and document after that you can learn and falow your instruction.

I started building rods when a couple of friends brought boats and started fishing for sharks and doing off shore trolling.  I needed a trolling rod and the prices on the ones I liked were well beyond my means at the time.  I'm not sure how I found out about Dale Clemens.  Discovered his shop was just off the Pa Turnpike in Allentown.   Drove up brought his books, talked to him and others that worked in the store about blanks, guides that I would need many times.  Started off using phone books for thread tension, eventually brought a cheap wooden rod wrapper, and as I started building more rods for myself and friends, brought a fancy metal one with a motor.  I blame Clemens for suggesting the blasphemous way I build my fly rods.  He suggested using single foot spinning guides rather than snake guides to improve casting distance and my ability to shoot line.   These days I just repair rods for friends and mess cheap rods I've picked up over time.  May have to rewrap  some guides on my fly rods over the winter.

Self taught, until the clemens book came out. Worked at a local bait shop at 10 years old . Learned a lot from the local guys. First rod "I BUILT" was on a 10' Harnel blank in which I electrical taped the guides and reel on and went fishing. Why spend time on thread when it was all about the fishing not the making. Pure, functional, "Swamp Yakeeesque".

It’s funny how some guys build one or two and never do it again and others never stop.   Or until you can’t see any longer .