YaknIndy

Swell Scupper 14 setup and review

33 posts in this topic

Hi all,

Wanted to share how I setup my scupper 14 for fresh water fishing. I fish lakes in Indiana. I insisted the foot braces to be moved to the outside walls of the cockpit. Swell responded and moved the brass inserts for me. I ordered the base model and installed a different rudder also. I installed 2 Scotty flush mounts behind the seat and one on the center console. Installed a anchor trolley on the port side. I bought this to replace a kaskazi Dorado 2 I had used since 2011. It is faster then the dorado. On flat water it's better suited for me then the kaskazi. Very stable and more comfortable too. It's a dry ride on lakes and easier to transport.  If any questions or comments feel free.

IMG_20190921_133236600.jpg

IMG_20190921_133100218.jpg

IMG_20190921_133052612.jpg

IMG_20190921_133226887_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

IMG_20190921_133343782.jpg

IMG_20190921_133157582.jpg

IMG_20190921_133106318.jpg

Edited by YaknIndy
Added photo

Very nice!

How's the weight difference between that and the Dorado?

I've got to imagine if you're not surf launching and riding heavy seas, even the Swell may be a bit narrow for the waters you have there (but I don't want to make any assumptions).

Do you stand in it?

How fast does the cock pit and TW clear water

That's the one thing I dislike in the Dorado is waiting for the water to drain while I try to manuever in the surf. I have foam to displace water in the TW but the cock pit is still an issue.

Really like the hull and top side design

Looks like an awesome boat

Hello

My Dorado 2 was fiberglass so weighed 65lb + after rigging, never actually weighed it. The scupper 14 is 21" shorter and 1" wider at 14'-1" by 25.5" they list it at 68lb, so no doubt it weighs 70lb. So for me the scupper is easier to handle. I used a trailer for the kaskazi, where i use a bed extender on my truck for the scupper.

I have yet to try standing. I have sat side saddle which is easy. The CG feels a bit higher then the dorado to me, but not tippy at all, very stable, and It glides through chop with no hull slap.

I have yet to swamp the cockpit or tankwell. The cockpit has 2 raised scuppers and 2 Venturi valves. The raised scuppers will drain fast, but you have to paddle fast at 4mph to drain the balance out through the Venturi valves.

Like all kayaks there are issues to work around in the layout when rigging. Like the behind the seat location for the Scotty flush mounts. I had to use rivets as there is no below deck access. They had been putting the foot rests on the console which I think was not a good idea. I had that changed and used fairings to cover the rudder control lines coming out of the cockpit sides. I used Spectra cord instead of ss cable which I like better.

The scupper hull design is great though. It's fast, smooth riding with no noise, and very stable. So I love that! 

I installed a piranamax 4 di, mounting it to the yakattack rail in front of the console with a Scotty rail adapter. I put the transducer under the console with duct seal. Been enjoying the DI. Thanks

Edited by YaknIndy

Great luck with the Swell, its a nice looking kayak. I like the traditional footrest location better also. Is the keel a stem to stern ‘half log’ like on the originals? Where did you get the rudder line fairings? I know that design is comfortable, efficient, and it probably tracks arrow straight. Do you find it takes some effort to turn it quickly.

15 hours ago, YaknIndy said:

IMG_20190921_133226887_BURST000_COVER_TOP.jpg

That rudder line location is way better than what Swell sent me. My rudder binds and gets hung up. 

423B6A2F-9197-4C4D-9FAB-24C4ADE28F92.jpeg

Hi Cheech, the fairings are by Prijon, I got them from topkayaker in NH. Attached is a picture of the hull. As far as turning ease, it edges nice and at a stop a couple of sweep strokes will turn it around. Curious how the hull compares? ThanksIMG_20190924_164821245.jpg.2bd99a681c7dda12ec3c6619df29a467.jpg

Riddler, thank you for all your scupper 14 posts. I have read and learned from all your information. Jim at swell told me that all new scupper 14's will have the foot rests on the outside now. 

15 hours ago, YaknIndy said:

Hello

My Dorado 2 was fiberglass so weighed 65lb + after rigging, never actually weighed it. The scupper 14 is 21" shorter and 1" wider at 14'-1" by 25.5" they list it at 68lb, so no doubt it weighs 70lb. So for me the scupper is easier to handle. I used a trailer for the kaskazi, where i use a bed extender on my truck for the scupper.

I've had a few Dorados. The earlier one were in the high 50s . Very solid and pretty bomb proof. The most recent was a much lighter build and started at 44 lbs before outfitting. It's hard to come back from a lighter kayak, but the safety and the more evolved top side layout of the Swell are good reasons to give it some serious thought.

Edited by Santiago II

I find it both amazing and refreshing that a kayak builder would move the foot rest to outside as a request and find it great they realized  it was a better postion and changed the location there after. Nice boat, enjoy!.....jack

1 hour ago, Bulldog said:

I find it both amazing and refreshing that a kayak builder would move the foot rest to outside as a request and find it great they realized  it was a better postion and changed the location there after. Nice boat, enjoy!.....jack

It only makes sense. The rudder binds and it looks much better. 

FYI,

Swell watercraft scupper 14 has a new roto mold process, supposed to be 8 pounds lighter and more rigid which would be good. I have not paddled it myself yet. There is a write up on there website.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Wow, 8# lighter would be a game changer! How have you been doing in the boat? I like my Scupper Pro a lot for fresh or simple surface fishing in the salt, but the tiny cockpit I find restrictive for salt bottom fishing where I tend to have more crap.

EDIT: Whoops, I spoke too soon, before going to the website. While they've lost 8#, apparently the official weight is even more than they used to say, and now its still 64#, quite stout compared to it's SP ancestor.  But the new tech of foamed wall with a solid skin is pretty cool I must say. I'd like to know the thicknesses of that section.

double-layer-plastic-1024x768-1.jpg

Edited by gellfex