eddy

Climate

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

What actually is the climate for say, North Dakota or Saudi Arabia, or Siberia?

Who determines what the climate is?

How do they come up with that determination?

Do they go by years, do they compare a 10 year time span with a million year time span?

If a million year time span, how can we know for sure what the weather was like a million years ago? 

Why should we "just trust" them?

Imagine how much of the Earth is baking to a crackly crunch while the Dems are not looking... as they are busy yammering about the President needing to be removed from office for doing the best job in decades if not ever.

9 mins ago, dena said:

Settled science is the excuse I hear most often about why the believers believe. 

which in essence is "I believe... because other really smart people believe"

Lemmings dancing not to the piper, but to other lemmings

Funny!

4 Feet of Snow in September? Montana Hunkers Down for a ‘Crazy’ Storm

Forget fall. Montana is skipping straight to winter, with a weekend storm threatening to bury much of the state under feet of snow.

By Nicholas Bogel-Burroughs

Even snow-hardened Montanans shiver at the prospect of a September blizzard. After all, the first day of fall was Monday.

The tops of trees at Glacier National Park are just starting to turn yellow. Bowhunters have begun to stalk deer and elk. Temperatures have reached the 70s this week.

But now a weekend storm is threatening to bring up to 48 inches of snow to Montana’s mountains and at least two feet to a wide swath of the state. In some cities, longstanding September snowfall records could be doubled.

“For any time in September, it’s on the crazy side,” said Francis Kredensor, a meteorologist at the National Weather Service office in Great Falls. “This has the potential to be an exceptional early-season storm.”

Fears of the unusual snowstorm have led Glacier National Park to close some roads, and the storm may cause power failures for thousands of Montanans. Wet snow weighs down the leaves that remain on trees, and powerful winds on Saturday and Sunday, with gusts up to 60 miles per hour, could bring down trees and power lines. A strong storm in early October 2017 left about 10,000 without power — and this year’s blizzard is expected to be worse.

The National Weather Service has issued a winter storm warning for more than a dozen counties in the northwest part of the state and a winter storm watch for at least 15 more. The storm is expected to calm down by Monday morning.

Cut Bank, a small city just 25 miles south of Alberta, Canada, has never received more than 15.5 inches over a three-day period in September. It is forecast to get up to 30 inches from this weekend’s storm. Great Falls, the state’s third-largest city, is predicted to get up to a foot of snow, nearing the city’s record for a three-day storm, 13.2 inches, which was set in 1934.

New Weather Graphic Issued: Snowfall Forecast. More info at https://go.usa.gov/x5CrN 

View image on Twitter

Montana is one of America’s snowiest states. The largest snowflake ever seen is rumored to have fallen in the state in January 1887, although many have doubted a rancher’s claim that it was more than a foot wide. Winter weather can stretch into summer.

But a September snowstorm measured in feet has the potential to alter the routines of residents like Megan and Scott Lester, who run Whitefish Stage Organic Farms in Kalispell, in the northwest corner of the state. At this time of year, the couple usually opens up its farm to children and parents who come to pick pumpkins, munch on apple cider churros and get lost in a grizzly bear-shaped straw bale maze.

Instead, the Lesters are battening down the hatches.

“With this weather, everything’s got to be closed,” Mr. Lester said on Friday. “Some of the straw-bale walls will blow down and make the maze impassable. People will have snow on everything. Anywhere you want to sit will be wet.”

Saturday will be the first time the Lesters have closed the farm during its fall season, which lasts only from mid-September to the end of October.

“To lose a whole weekend to a major storm is a huge bummer, obviously,” Mr. Lester said. “There are not going to be crowds of people coming out to get snowed on.”

Mr. Kredensor, the meteorologist, said the storm was the result of a “perfect mix” of cold and wet. Early cold snaps and moisture from the Pacific Ocean are nothing new, but the combination of single-digit temperatures and substantial moisture has made the storm unusually intense.

And while his forecasting colleagues may be looking forward to traversing the Montana plains in snowshoes or skis, Mr. Kredensor said he was not yet ready for that.

“If this was December, I’d be O.K. with it, or even late November,” he said. “But late September? It’s a little too early to get excited about it. I was excited for some fall.”

I'm glad I updated my heating system last year and that I'm adding more heating capacity in the event of a power outage presently. 

Next up is getting my generator in working order :th: 

I'm cold just thinking about it. Jaycold.gif.c557dd50e2a88b1a5c1835c999d11f0e.gif

Edited by J

17 hours ago, hamlet said:

Imagine how cold it would be there if we hadnt warmed the planet so much.

frightening

They should thank us! 

Same goes for sea level rise.  My house is located in one of the most flood prone locations on the island I live on.  The house sits at an elevation of 6 feet and the street corner is about 4 feet above sea level.  I got the house for very little money after it was damaged in the big Halloween storm in the early 90s.  I've lived in the house for a quarter of a century and beyond that I was very familiar with the neighborhood going all the way back to the 70s.   Its always flooded here and always will.  If the wind blows from the NorthEast or if there is a big tide or an offshore storm I have to move my cars and prepare the house.  Even during normal spring tides the water has always come up out of the storm drains at the corner at high tide.

Believe me, if the ocean level had changed at all in the past 40 years I would be the first to notice.  Nothing has changed though.  The street floods just as it always has and just as it always will.  No better and no worse.That's what happens when you build a street on a barrier island 4 feet above sea level.  I can also walk to the bulkhead on the bay 100 yards from my house and the tides are no higher than they were when I crabbed and fished there 40 years ago.  I can go to the city museum and look at pictures of my town and waterfront landmarks that are still there from nearly 100 years ago and I can plainly see that there has been no appreciable change in the level of the sea. 

I'm 50 years old.  Please tell me why I should be afraid that the sea level is going to rise up and swallow me.  Please show me some practical and verifiable evidence to to back up your fear mongering.

We believe in facts, not truths. 

I suspect their Savior, Greta two shoes, has not been the big boost to support they had expected her to be. Her tone has put folks off, and many see it for what it was, a play to shame them into obeying the covenants of the religion. 

They have warned us repeatably for decades now and the boogeyman never did show up. Watched them change the name, watched them claim snow fall and glacier growth to be signs. Seems no matter what the weather does it is always our fault because we don't also believe as they do.

Maybe one day they will get to impose a huge tax on the people, and we will see exactly how we are going to combat this global crisis, using tax payer cash on hand.