albacized

Stradic 5000FK spinning reel issues or my imagination?

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

1 hour ago, aquaholik said:

Part 13269 is the ball bearing next to it. Not sure if that goes inside the bushing or right next to it.

But seriously, line bushing is not such a bad thing. Line roller bearing is the first to go so less maintenance with the bushing.

1 hour ago, aquaholik said:

Part 13269 is the ball bearing next to it. Not sure if that goes inside the bushing or right next to it.

But seriously, line bushing is not such a bad thing. Line roller bearing is the first to go so less maintenance with the bushing.

A bushing and a bearing, that’s why I prefer Penn reels, simple and for the most part bulletproof. I always thought Shimano were over engineered. 

On 9/25/2019 at 1:08 AM, Slazmo said:

Best thing to do with the FK stradic to resolve the crappy line roller bearing issue is to replace the unit with a Stella FI line roller bearing -  when that bearing claps out, simply gently heat the line roller (with blue rubber seals removed) and push out the inner bearing / clean any locktite green seating compound and insert a new bearing of your quality / choice. 

Within regards to the rest of the reel, what let's them down out of the box is how dry they're built in factory, the bearings are literally sneezed on with grease when assembled. 

So does this work? I'm looking for a fix for my sweet FK5000. This sounds pretty sweet. Why do I need to buy the Stella FI line roller bearing? What about just going for the new bearing of my quality/choice? How do you get the right size for the bearing? Do you need to replace the locktite green seating compound when the new bearing goes in? 

And should the replacement line roller bearing be greased up?

Thanks for your help. Been a crazy day. Plane had to be chased off from President's golf course. Now this. 

PhoenixBass, Can't provide you with links or even instructions to find links but I advise you contact Shimano with your question. 

Albacized, I noticed that with the roller bearings on my Stradics FKs when they were getting corroded often catching a fish would lead to the noise and/or feel to change in the line roller when that was happening. So it would not surprise me that catching a fish could do the same thing for a one of the drive gear bearing in the body or the sideplate suddenly seizing after catching fish or while catching them.

Once you get the tools, the Stradic FKs are really easy to tear down and put together. The only washers/shims in the reel are on the drive gear for the sideplate bearing. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 9/23/2019 at 1:49 PM, albacized said:

Reel is going through it's third season, including now midway through its third false albacore season...based on the noise it makes, it's a foregone conclusion that the roller bearing is toast...I don't have an issue with that since, other than being noisier, it was functioning just fine (was going to take care of that after the season). However, I noticed during my last two trips that there are times where the pressure of having a fish on has made the handle much harder than normal to turn...It hasn't seized up, but it seems like it could progress to that...is there anything that could be causing this, or could I just be imagining it. The handle turns fine otherwise

When was the last time it had a lube job?

Spinners are notorious for not being lubed enough from the start.

Always lube a brand new one before use.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

6 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

HH

Actually sent it to Shimano not long after that - they replaced the roller bearing and lubed it up. It's been functioning just fine since

6 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

HH

^^^^

This

I open up all my NIB reels and lube them before they see their first use. 

In the  case of the line roller, I back out the nut far enough to get the tip of my CorrosionX bottle in there and douse the bearing/washers/seals.

Cals grease in the drag stack and then good to go. 

4 hours ago, Maine Guide said:

^^^^

This

I open up all my NIB reels and lube them before they see their first use. 

In the  case of the line roller, I back out the nut far enough to get the tip of my CorrosionX bottle in there and douse the bearing/washers/seals.

Cals grease in the drag stack and then good to go. 

Great idea.

I I have heard a lot about cals drag Grease, 2 years ago I sent my Calcutta te in for service before they run out of parts and they totally rebuilt the reel and they put cals drag Grease on the drag, I hated it but I haven't removed it yet just haven't used the wheel yet much but I'll get around to it dartainiums work better when they're dry.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

I emailed Shimano to see which exact Stella parts I would need for the Stradic Ci4 4000 and this is the response I got.....pretty bad.

"Hello, Thank you for your inquiry. I have put the link below to our parts website. Here you can look for your reel and find the parts you need. If your reel is not here but you have the parts number, you can search the part number on our website and buy the part that way. I hope this helps. 

Best Regards"

Edited by TimS
link removed

Sent my son's 3000 into Shimano a week or so ago for servicing after 2 years of inshore.  Started to feel similar to what is described in the first post.  Shimano called and informed it had a bent spool shaft and they'd replace as soon as possible.  I inquired as to what might have caused this...he told me that they've seen many of the early Stradics of the current model have this and that they had found a problem with these spool shafts and later corrected. 

You might call or send in to see.  Just a suggestion.