Stradic 5000FK spinning reel issues or my imagination?

Rate this topic

albacized

Reel is going through it's third season, including now midway through its third false albacore season...based on the noise it makes, it's a foregone conclusion that the roller bearing is toast...I don't have an issue with that since, other than being noisier, it was functioning just fine (was going to take care of that after the season). However, I noticed during my last two trips that there are times where the pressure of having a fish on has made the handle much harder than normal to turn...It hasn't seized up, but it seems like it could progress to that...is there anything that could be causing this, or could I just be imagining it. The handle turns fine otherwise

Edited by albacized

Yeah, I love Shimano reels but have had some bearing issues myself so I’m less of a fan than I used to be. Last time I had to replace a line roller and bearing on a Stradic, my jaw dropped when the guy at the shop told me how much those parts were. I really Love Shimano products when they are working well  but after I  replaced some parts in one of their spinners and then they needed replacing again, I was done with repairing that reel. Gave it away to a friend. 

Best thing to do with the FK stradic to resolve the crappy line roller bearing issue is to replace the unit with a Stella FI line roller bearing -  when that bearing claps out, simply gently heat the line roller (with blue rubber seals removed) and push out the inner bearing / clean any locktite green seating compound and insert a new bearing of your quality / choice. 

Within regards to the rest of the reel, what let's them down out of the box is how dry they're built in factory, the bearings are literally sneezed on with grease when assembled. 

• 8 months later...

I have three Stradics  3000 & 5000 fj and a 4000 fk, I understand that they were designed for fresh water use. The 5000 has developed an awful howl, it’s still smooth and was the most used of the three. I wonder why a reel in that price range has a bushing line roller and a felt drag. 

On 9/23/2019 at 1:49 PM, albacized said:

Reel is going through it's third season, including now midway through its third false albacore season...based on the noise it makes, it's a foregone conclusion that the roller bearing is toast...I don't have an issue with that since, other than being noisier, it was functioning just fine (was going to take care of that after the season). However, I noticed during my last two trips that there are times where the pressure of having a fish on has made the handle much harder than normal to turn...It hasn't seized up, but it seems like it could progress to that...is there anything that could be causing this, or could I just be imagining it. The handle turns fine otherwise

You sure it's not the XG gear ratio that feels like it's seized up when you have a decent fish on? I put my 4000 FK (low gear) thru hell the last 3 years. It's fished with 5-8 lbs of drag using Fireline Crystal 10 lbs. I change out one set of gear and pinion just because I can feel it being geary, not because I can't turn the handle.

22 hours ago, aquaholik said:

Your Stradic has a bal bearing line roller.

My schematic shows part 10184 line roller bushing for the 5000 fj. To be honest I’m afraid to look, I’ve never gotten a shimano reel back together correctly. Perhaps later models did in fact have a bearing.

I have to chuckle when the Penn Slammer 3 was introduced with a bushing line roller the world was coming to an end. 

59 mins ago, Bogey said:

My schematic shows part 10184 line roller bushing for the 5000 fj. To be honest I’m afraid to look, I’ve never gotten a shimano reel back together correctly. Perhaps later models did in fact have a bearing.

I have to chuckle when the Penn Slammer 3 was introduced with a bushing line roller the world was coming to an end. 

Part 13269 is the ball bearing next to it. Not sure if that goes inside the bushing or right next to it.

But seriously, line bushing is not such a bad thing. Line roller bearing is the first to go so less maintenance with the bushing.