EricS

11wt Line Choice and Saltwater Hooks

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

I need a little help narrowing/confirming a few choices ( or even suggesting some new ones ). I have a trip up to NJ planned and I am itching to do some striper fishing. I have extensive surfcasting knowledge, but with conventional tackle not fly. I will be bringing my 11wt for hunting some stripers at night, and my 8wt for albies during the day. I have full sinking ( 6IPS ) lines for both, but am looking to get a slower sink line. I was looking at the SA Sink 30 clear, does anyone have any experience? Is a intermediate tip line better then full intermediate? I will be fishing in an area with large waves and plenty of rips, 4-10 feet deep. 

My next question is around fly hook choice. I will be tying some large game changer style 8-12 inch bunker flys and would like a stout saltwater hook. I was looking at the Gami B12S and the TMC 600SP. Anyone have preference over either? I have some Gami b10s, but fear they are a little light. 

Thanks all! 

I use an I line when fishing Jersey 90% of the time.My current favs are Cortland compact head intermediate,a 26' head w/ floating running line and RIO's Coastal quick shooter which has a sinking running line.

Sink tip I line only goes to 4' or so on a mid-tempo retrieve.I prefer a full sinking head.

1 hour ago, slip n slide said:

I use an I line when fishing Jersey 90% of the time.My current favs are Cortland compact head intermediate,a 26' head w/ floating running line

How's that mono core treating you in the fall?

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, Ditchrat said:

How's that mono core treating you in the fall?

I fish our local rivers w/ it for walleye into the low 40's and no problems.

When it's cold make sure you stretch the line as you pull it off the reel so it won't loop up on ya,but that should be done every time you fish anyway,right?

I like monocore lines as that stretchyness can be used to really zing a cast.

The Cortland has a thicker running line which is nice when it gets cold as the skinny shooting line is harder for me to feel when it gets cold due to nerve damage from a car accident.

Edited by slip n slide

Fishing at night I'd want an intermediate line, not a float with an intermediate tip.  Should be easier to control by feel  since you won't be able to see the waves.  In terms of brands I'm partial to Airflo, but that's just me.

In terms of hooks for big flies I love the Gamakatsu SL12S.  Also, I've never used them but a bunch of pike fisherman seem to like the big Ahrex hooks FWIW.

My 2 cents

I only fish at night I either use a floating line or a full sink.  The only place I still use an intermediate is specifically in boulder fields.  

Full sink gets 80% of my use.  That said I almost exclusively fish very fast moving inlets or deep water rocks 8-20' of water less than 20' from casting perch.  So getting down takes at least a S6 line.  I dont fish beaches that are shallower than 8' very often so don't have a strong opinion on those.

Hooks go owner aki or owner saltwater jig hooks.  Gamakatsu SL12 keep bending out on me.  It happened in 2018 so switched to Aki hooks.  Tried SL12s again this year a lost another nice bass who bent my hook out.  I am fiahing big current with a 12wt and 40lb leaders.  Have not had one aki fail on me.  Have bent out 7 SL12s since 2018

On 10/1/2019 at 9:41 PM, Steve Schullery said:

Did  you try Gamakatsu SL 11-3H hooks? 3x heavy, really strong and sharp.

Yes they work well for narrow profile flies.  i like a wider gap for herring/bunker profile.  I use the SL 11-3H for my eel flies and sliders

it would be tough to bend out the the Gami SL12S (old trey combs hook) on even the largest striper. I have done triple digit bluefin on them never had a problem. SC15 will bend out, but never heard of that on the SL12S.

SC15-2H is strong and good from Gamakatsu.

600sp is great if good, but they vary so some may be too hard and some can roll their point.

Mustad C68 and C70 are good, and at least on the east side of the pond much cheaper than Gamakatsu or Tiemco.

Posted (edited) · Report post

22 hours ago, Strat said:

it would be tough to bend out the the Gami SL12S (old trey combs hook) on even the largest striper. I have done triple digit bluefin on them never had a problem. SC15 will bend out, but never heard of that on the SL12S.

I thought that maybe I had a bad batch of them since I had so many fail.  I bought a new group of them and had the same thing happen twice this year.  I lost one nicer bass that was probably 20lbs range.  I partially bent one and landed a 33" fish which should not bend a 6/0 SL12S in my opinion, but in 2018 fish that size class bent several SL12s

I use 40lb test on a 12wt and haul my bass in.  I dont really let them run much or I will get broke off in the rocks.  I am also fishing inlets with 3-4kts of current which from a fixed position on shore you have to fight hard and heavy drag or you will get spooled.  If you are fishing off a boat the amount of drag you are applying is probably a lot less than I do.  You have lots of room to chase and let fish run and I do not.  When I spin fish out of a kayak I can get away with 25lb leaders and a 4500 series reel no problem on big fish.  From shore I prefer 40-60lb leaders and a 6500 series reel.  Same with fly gear shore fishing I like 10-12wt rods and out of a boat I will throw 8-10wt rods.

A few other guys I have talked to outside of SOL have had similar experiences with SL12s bending out.  I am certainly never using them again, but that is just my opinion and if your targeting schoolies or boat fishing they are probably fine.  I spend all year chasing that one 25-35lb bass on the fly from shore.  I am not going to let those rare opportunities be wasted on a hook that has failed me multiple times.  Confidence is important part of game and at this point I have no confidence in those hooks.   

Edited by The Graveyard Shift

Sounds like a bad batch of hooks. I get what you are saying with the heavy drag/current but there is no way a 6/0 SL12S should bend out on a 33' striper under any circumstance. Hope they are not having quality control issues. 

13 hours ago, Strat said:

Sounds like a bad batch of hooks. I get what you are saying with the heavy drag/current but there is no way a 6/0 SL12S should bend out on a 33' striper under any circumstance. Hope they are not having quality control issues. 

Looking at the hooks I don't see a reason they should be failing.  Wire is a decent gauge and looks solid.  But it keeps happening on fish that are not even big.  I do love how sticky the points are penetration has never been an issue.  If its a bad batch then I bought two bad batches almost a year and a half apart.  That would indicate a lot of bad hooks are floating out there.  or maybe is the ones more recently produced have the issues.