AbbyDaddy

Putting together Blackfish Jig order for winter

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Gents, 

Needs some assistance in putting together an order sheet for Tog Jigs for this winter. 

Will be fishing in LI (charter) and NJ (party boats). The capt on the LI charter said 1/2 to 1oz, but how many and is this enough for NJ Party boats? (Only used sinker rigs previously).

I will be heading out once/twice a month this winter so wanted to stock up to minimize re-ordering. 

This will be my first time jigging and I have no illusions about losing jigs so wanted to make sure I order an appropriate amount for the areas. 

I suggest buying a few jigs from the tackle shop and heading to your nearest inlet to get an idea of how to fish a jig before committing to certain sizes. On NJ party boats in the winter Ill use 1 oz to 3 oz but its a feel thing. Some guys are able to consistantly jig up fish on 1 oz in 80ft but not me.

The big auction site is your friend, can get sparkie style for about a dollar a piece. Before I made them I'd order .5 to 1.5, if I need bigger than that I prefer to go with a sinker rig.

thanks guys. 

Ordered 5-10 of each size 1/2 to 2oz and 2 of each 2.5, 3 and 4oz just to try them out (sparkies powder coated from T&A via facebook). and plus i have 30x 1oz unpainted banana and flathead with 3/0 and 4/0 hooks as well. 

My friend is hooking me up with a spot on the boat next to john skinner in the fall :)

I s used jigs for several seasons  it prefer bait rigs ! I hardly ever lose jigs since it’s o my rig on bottom  !  No sinker  or loose hooks to worry about snagging as much !

Also use lightest use get away with on given day .

I've used a couple of brands, and I feel the ************** Gamechanger is far and away the better product and well worth the price. They appear to be the only ones making a jig from scratch with a purpose-built mold. There is no lead collar on the hook, to facilitate baiting, the shape of the head is unique, broad bottomed, to reduce snags, weight biased to keep the hook on top. Also, the colors are great. When I first got the green crab version, I scratched my head for a moment, but on the boat, I saw the back was a near perfect match for the darker crabs, and the bright orange was exactly the tint of the mush from inside a body. The only negatives are the paint comes off a little quickly, and the hooks on the heavier versions are pretty big.

If I'm worried about losing too many, I'll switch to a sinker rig.

MagicTail-Tog-Jigs-703189207528_image2__30241_1552692956.jpg