Nomad92

Fuego line lay issue...adding a shim

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

Hey guys - I've checked other sources without success. Recently my daiwa fuego lt 2500 started laying line with a heavy lean towards the top of the spool. This tells me i need to add a shim. I've got the box, manual and little bag of extras shims (or spool washers..the little plastic circles). I removed the spool and attempted to add a shim. However the fuego has a bearing on top of the existing shims. It seems this bearing needs to be removed prior to adding additional shims. The manual does not identify the bearing or the need to remove it (in the instruction section to fix the line lay). In my attempts to remove the bearing it will slide up about a centimeter and no further. I don't want to break anything and am not the most experienced with the inner workings of some reels. Has anyone else experienced this scenario with the daiwa fuego lt? Can I put pressure on the bearing and pull it off to add the shim? Seems I may break the bearing or damage something else. If not, I'll live with the horrible line lay...rather than break the reel. Thanks in advance for any input!

I just looked at the schematic and I don't see a bearing near where the shim would go. The schematic shoes two shims that are on the shaft above the click gear. That is where the extra one would go.

5d88aa4f2aa83_Diawashim.png.7e2dd85c2ee1e56d5ce716151bab21bd.png

Fuego LT

#7: washer

#8 bearing

#9 washer

#10 shim

Bearing needs to be removed to place the shim UNDER the washer #9

Screenshot 2019-09-23 at 16.58.29.png

Steve - I checked the schematic and I agree it doesn't show the bearing but it's there and doesn't want to come off. Part #8 in the schematic ZA shared. Any thoughts on whether I should use some force to remove this bearing? It slides up about a centimeter and doesn't want to go any further. I don't want to break the reel to add the shim. I'll see if I can post a pic of what I'm dealing with. Thanks for the responses guys. 

I had the wrong schematic, but I don't get why the added shim needs to be placed UNDER the bearing.  There is a shim above the bearing, and adding another there should lift the spool as well. Frankly, without seeing it, I am not sure what that bearing even does. Is it really a bearing or just a bushing?

I have a reel w/a bearing in the same spot and had the same issue removing it as you are having.  It came off with some force.  If you can find a tool to press up on the inner race it should come off undamaged.

If it's hanging up.  It's the little clear washer doing it's job.

use a fish hook or pick tool and gently pick it past the edge.

17 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

If it's hanging up.  It's the little clear washer doing it's job.

use a fish hook or pick tool and gently pick it past the edge.

See, this is why schematics and the part descriptions suck without actually seeing the parts in person. Now it makes sense.... :idea:

:th: