yarddog59

Ghost Busters at Sandy Hook

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Only the Lord, and perhaps the park Superintendent know what these two were spraying for! Captain Kid and his crew beware we gotcha now!

20190920_173741.jpg

Edited by yarddog59

Multiple rattlesnake nests at the north end. The adult snakes are  super aggressive and have been hanging around the high tide line...especially when the albies show up or after dark. They said that the problem will be solved either in 3 months, when they start dredging again or if a couple of plovers show up. Good luck! :th:

Actually if you walk the Fisherman's Trail you'll see some curly beach grass sprayed green. This is an invasive plant, about10 years ago (maybe more) I ran into a grad student trying several different ways to eradicate the plant. 

9 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

Actually if you walk the Fisherman's Trail you'll see some curly beach grass sprayed green. This is an invasive plant, about10 years ago (maybe more) I ran into a grad student trying several different ways to eradicate the plant. 

I stopped and talked to them on my long lonely trip back.  You are correct.  They are trying to save the natural dunes from the invasive grass.  Too me its like pissing on a fire. I walked away baffled because they are so undermanned.  

i also thought to myself when i spray weeds at my house im not in a stage 4 chemical suit. 

10 hours ago, saltyh2ofly said:

Grad students alone will never solve the problems. Several other invasive species have been observed but there are no known sprays to stop them!

6 hours ago, Goldy said:

I stopped and talked to them on my long lonely trip back.  You are correct.  They are trying to save the natural dunes from the invasive grass.  Too me its like pissing on a fire. I walked away baffled because they are so undermanned.  

i also thought to myself when i spray weeds at my house im not in a stage 4 chemical suit. 

4 hours ago, yarddog59 said:

Grad students alone will never solve the problems. Several other invasive species have been observed but there are no known sprays to stop them!

I work on the Hook and they're doing their best to try and get this problem under control. They have new options now but the real problem is climate change, this is going to dictate what our world will look like in the future. Fish will (and already have) changed their migrations, our fishing will only get worse. Couple this with beach replenishment creating desert like inshore conditions we're screwed.

4 mins ago, saltyh2ofly said:

I work on the Hook and they're doing their best to try and get this problem under control. They have new options now but the real problem is climate change, this is going to dictate what our world will look like in the future. Fish will (and already have) changed their migrations, our fishing will only get worse. Couple this with beach replenishment creating desert like inshore conditions we're screwed.

We have much bigger problems than climate change.  Im not going to turn this into that conversation and go down that rat hole.  

the over abundance of deer also hurts the local ecosystem.  They need to allow hunting the hook. Its a ****how trying to drive out of there at rut sea

13 mins ago, Goldy said:

They need to allow hunting the hook. Its a ****how trying to drive out of there at rut sea

Great Idea, but will never happen.

They'd have to shut down the park except just for hunting. No beach access. No fishing. Create a safe zone in the ocean and bay around the park to keep boats out. Just for one day.  BTW, it's a not a state park.

Edited by Ben Lippen

3 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Great Idea, but will never happen.

They'd have to shut down the park except just for hunting. No beach access. No fishing. Create a safe zone in the ocean and bay around the park to keep boats out. Just for one day.  BTW, it's a not a state park.

Yeah i know federal.  Some of the biggest damn deer ive ever seen on there. 

i was coming back in pitch dark the other week and one hissed at me and i freaked out.  Now i walk with my iphone music on.  So if anyone hears music playing at night its me

21 mins ago, Goldy said:

Yeah i know federal.  Some of the biggest damn deer ive ever seen on there. 

i was coming back in pitch dark the other week and one hissed at me and i freaked out.  Now i walk with my iphone music on.  So if anyone hears music playing at night its me

I've had one charge me.  I heard it coming up from behind because of the hoofs pounding earth as it ran at me.  I was able to turn and face it and made a threatening gesture and it veered off into the woods.  I do not recommend using yur ear buds, be alert and aware of your surroundings.   

Just now, fishless said:

I've had one charge me.  I heard it coming up from behind because of the hoofs pounding earth as it ran at me.  I was able to turn and face it and made a threatening gesture and it veered off into the woods.  I do not recommend using yur ear buds, be alert and aware of your surroundings.   

Now that is freaky... must have been rut season.. And def no earbuds.. I mean full blast iPhone

12 mins ago, Goldy said:

Now that is freaky... must have been rut season.. And def no earbuds.. I mean full blast iPhone

I saw it and stopped.  The buck didn't notice me at first but then must have smelled me and picked his head looking around and saw me.  The two of us stood not moving so I decided to quietly turn and walk in a different direction in an effort not to disturb.  When I turned and changed direction is when I heard it start to charge.  I actually resorted to the fact that I was toast but was shocked that my attempt to scare it off actually worked.   

You did the exact right thing. Just be prepared to dive at the last minute, next time. Minimize contact. Grab the nearest stick or branch. 

Fishing rods work great poked in the eye at face to face. Whipped on the body real good they remember.

Better to give up a rod.

Edited by Ben Lippen

Yupyup.

It's the Fed.

So they'll hafta have a meeting to see if they should form a committee  to authorize the commission of a report be done on the amount of deer , and how to control the population.

Then three years later, at least one person has ben injured by a deer, and on  video several deer swimming in the bay or ocean ....

And then the real political Hand-Ringing begins because the tree huggers and dirt eaters are howling about animal rights....

So, why dont we just close it to fishing, because that's cruel anyway... 

Let folks wander around to feed the deer by hand.

The future....

3 mins ago, Ben Lippen said:

Yupyup.

It's the Fed.

So they'll hafta have a meeting to see if they should form a committee  to authorize the commission of a report be done on the amount of deer , and how to control the population.

Then three years later, at least one person has ben injured by a deer, and on  video several deer swimming in the bay or ocean ....

And then the real political Hand-Ringing begins because the tree huggers and dirt eaters are howling about animal rights....

So, why dont we just close it to fishing, because that's cruel anyway... 

Let folks wander around to feed the deer by hand.

The future....

That sounds about right...