bob_G

Dinner tonight, grilled octopus

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

13 hours ago, mike3dr said:

Bob that looks great.  Do you have a good receipt for it?  Thanks

It's really not so much a recipe as it is a process.

Place the cleaned octopus in a pot of water, just enough to cover it. Depending non it's size, allow it to summer for 45-60 min. It's done when you can easily push a knife through the thick part of a tentacle. 

Cut in half, place in a bowl and pour several spoons of olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. All to cool a few hours.

Then to finish, simply grill just long enough to reheat and get a nice char on it.

3 hours ago, bob_G said:

It's really not so much a recipe as it is a process.

Place the cleaned octopus in a pot of water, just enough to cover it. Depending non it's size, allow it to summer for 45-60 min. It's done when you can easily push a knife through the thick part of a tentacle. 

Cut in half, place in a bowl and pour several spoons of olive oil, lemon juice, and salt and pepper. All to cool a few hours.

Then to finish, simply grill just long enough to reheat and get a nice char on it.

TY

One of my favorite meals anywhere. 

Was watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives this weekend as he was hanging out in poke shops in Hawaii. One of the shops captured their own octopi and then smoked them before creating the smoked octopus poke bowl. Looked quite good. 

Anyone here ever smoke octopus? 

Love it, and get it at a restaurant in Gloucester sometimes.  Prices went crazy on octopus for a while.  Has it come back down?

Someone posted on here about cooking it in a sous vide machine.  i've been wanting to try it if the price came back down

Are you guys buying them fresh locally or frozen in the supermarket?

I've bought them frozen and the quality isn't worth a dime, I'd love to have access to fresh.

19 mins ago, wasy said:

Are you guys buying them fresh locally or frozen in the supermarket?

I've bought them frozen and the quality isn't worth a dime, I'd love to have access to fresh.

Everytime we buy it, it's frozen. I agree, freezing diminishes the quality. 

38 mins ago, jkrock said:

Love it, and get it at a restaurant in Gloucester sometimes.  Prices went crazy on octopus for a while.  Has it come back down?

Someone posted on here about cooking it in a sous vide machine.  i've been wanting to try it if the price came back down

I tried it sous vide last month.  It was tender, that part is pretty bulletproof with anything sous vide, but I’ve made better braised first.  I don’t think the frozen octopus I can get easily is as good any more as say 10-15 years ago 

9 mins ago, bob_G said:

Everytime we buy it, it's frozen. I agree, freezing diminishes the quality. 

I would be happy with decent frozen.  Not liking the stuff I been getting. Your grilled octopus looks great.  

On 9/23/2019 at 1:21 PM, tomkaz said:

One of my favorite meals anywhere. 

Was watching Diners, Drive-ins and Dives this weekend as he was hanging out in poke shops in Hawaii. One of the shops captured their own octopi and then smoked them before creating the smoked octopus poke bowl. Looked quite good. 

Anyone here ever smoke octopus? 

Too hard to light! (sorry I couldn't resist).

Just now, MakoMike said:

Too hard to light! (sorry I couldn't resist).

Oh, that’s cute. But if you could, probably would taste better than some of this stuff we smoked back in HS.