coastalfreak

Preferred Monofilament

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Yes, I still am a mono guy. Since I baitfish, I really dont need a lot of sensitivity in my line and I'm your typical broke college student. I also just find mono easier to work with. 

Anyhow, what is yall's preferred mono? I use Trilene and Stren because they are cheap but Suffix and Ande have really intrigued me. Thanks. 

I use mono for lure fishing both saltwater and freshwater ( U.K.), big fan of 

‘trabucco’ XP’s surfline, not sure if available in the US though. Super limp and strong in relation to diameter. ( 0.25 mm equates to 15 lb breaking strain ).

also use suffix lines which are always reliable.

If you after cheap and extremely effective I would suggest Berkeley Big Game. 20 with a 40 ft piece of 50lb shocker for fishing bait is perfect and what I prefer on a conventional. 

I agree that Big Game, Ande or Sufix are all good choices. I've used them all and they worked fine. I may still have some spinning reels that have Ande or Silver Thread on them, both of which have been good line, but these were primarily used for freshwater or brackish water panfishing. However, I switched to primarily using Yozuri Hybrid where I used to use mono for targeting bass or inshore fish. 

Another inexpensive line that I've known many folks to use, is Excel from Bass Pro Shops. Never tried it myself, but others have said it's been a good & cheaper alternative. 

I don't do much surf fishing, and when I do, my reels have either braid or Big Game in 30 lb. For casting lures inshore, ( or for freshwater) I use the Yozuri in 12 or 15 lb most. I would use the same for tossing baits with the lighter gear. 

Stern magnathin is amazing if you ever decide to plug with mono. Other than that, Big Game Is the best bang for your buck. Power pro can be bought at Walmart now too and it’s not what I would consider expensive. 300yds for $20

Freshwater = Stren

Saltwater = Ande 

Never have liked Trilene, and every Berkley line I ever tried was terrible.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I like Trilene the most but I was given a spool of 20lb Excel from Bass Pro and found it to be pretty good.  I don't care for Suffix in mono or braid. 

Edited by Dennis R

you are not alone in your use of mono.

I like several,cabelas salt striker copolymer[bulk spools],sea-striker clear[very soft and durable at the same time],suffix in smoke[17lb],spiderwire big water mono.

even walmarts very low cost omniflex clear has been tried and I like it a lot.

a 250 yard spool costs $1.74,i bought 10 spools from12-30lb,all have performed very well.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

8 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

What’s the difference between the Big Game and the XL?

No clue. Been stuck on BG for like..ever. Started with 30lb many years ago chunking down to 20lb now. Never let me down pulls fish well over 100lbs. Just have to re spool often when dealing with sharks they destroy any line mono or braid pretty quick from the beach. Buy bulk spools from TD.

Pulled a white and thresher boat side off bunker pods fishing bass with 20lb BG.

15lb for the artificial stick. 

Edited by the3fishheads