JerseyMike609

Support Local Builders!

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

So I went into a local tackle shop the other day and saw some pretty cool stuff made by local builders and I was thinking about how much stuff is out there you wont see outside of local shops so I'd like to here about any local builders you guys support,Thanks and keep supporting your local shops and builders!

I use to but they straight up be committing highway robbery on plugs. $2-4 over retail? No thanks. Just buy during offseason and save a few hundred dollars unless it’s a custom rod  builder or plug builder (at least some of them) 

Always stopping in the local tackle shops to make some purchases.  They are helpful and informative about all this new, lighter gear and steer you in the right direction for next catch and release.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Toms River builder Scabelly makes really nice plugs. 

His gliders slay and are in high demand. Also many other choices.

Each plugs is hand shaped, personally tested and custom painted. *

Sometimes available at Grumpys and Gabrielle's.

Edited by TimS
We don't promote social media channels here :-)

Sadly,  most local tackle shops, in my area, have closed their doors for good and the ones still in business don’t stock  the kind of gear I use.  It’s just too hard for many of the small shops  to make a decent living and they have faded away. I love the idea of buying and supporting local but it’s not really an option for me. 

Surfland on Plum Island is one of my favorite places on Earth. Fisherman’s paradise if you like small shops, big selection, people who are knowledgeable and helpful. 

Kay’s family is keeping up the tradition.

F980CE61-56B4-4ACE-9668-CDC441BBD6D6.jpeg

30 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Reel seat in brielle, also the sport fishing outlet in pa, the only place in my state that has a good selection of surf gear

Not true

32 mins ago, Haycreekrambler said:

Interested, where else?

Grumpy’s tackle and I’m not saying anything bad about the other shops. Im sure there great shops too. 

Grumpy's is a good shop too. I like Betty and Nick's too, even tho alot of people here dont seem to. Getting a decent breakfast and resupplying lost gear at the same place always been great after a long nite.