secampb1

flys for the southeast

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

I'm going to charleston this week and I'm wondering what flies some of you guys down there like to use for tarpon and reds.  Also what colors are best? I'm going to tie a few to bring. Thanks

Posted (edited) · Report post

Well, our grandson is a college student in Charleston and I didn't know there was an opportunity to visit him plus fish in the area so would appreciate info if Charleston is a tarpon/reds area for flyfishing, as you're posting. PM's appreciated so as not to burn spots, which, of course, I may never fish but it would definitely be a consideration visit to the grandson if fishing was included.Upon re-reading your post, I see you're headed there this week so too late for us to be in contact but, please, if you can lend any info just in case we decide to visit our grandson in his Charleston college plus fish there, we'd love to know. Thank you. LMK.

Edited by flysully

well, I've never fished there before but I booked a guide down there.  I do know that Redfish can be caught year round and Tarpon are usually best around now.  If you fish for stripers I would think many of the same approaches will work with Redfish as well.  I do know that the grass flats are a popular spot to get them while they are feeding on the bottom and "tailing" but they can be had in the surf too.  I will try to post any results when we get back!

Generally, most Tarpon are caught on baits or lures, not as much on flies. It can be done, but more likely one of those things about right time & place and when the opportunity presents. Not as much about targeting them specifically, particularly with fly gear. Water clarify here is good, but not like in some place like FL, where they can be sight fished. If the guide fishes for them often, then you would stand a better chance with them. 

For Redfish, it's more about getting a fly in front of them than about the actual pattern used. Like anywhere else folks have their favorite flies. If you can find the fish, use what you have. Most of the popular shrimp, crab and baitfish flies used other places for Reds will work, except folks here tend to use them on the smaller side, like on size 4's if fishing the grass and perhaps 2 or 1 in the creeks. Not that they won't take something a bit larger, but due to a lot of pressure, they get skittish. 

Popular colors are black & purple, and the typical tans, browns, and olive shades. Darker colors are used on bright days and brighter can work on dark days. White is always a good color.

For the actual patterns, pick your poison. When I get to the coast, I still use Deceivers, Clouser Minnow's, Half & Half's, Bendbacks and Seaducers. Trout & Flounder like them too. Also use some rabbit strip flies and yarn crabs and carry some Gurglers & poppers. Have flies that are weighted & some that are not or very lightly weighted and some with & without weed guards

For fishing with a guide, the guide will certainly have favorite flies. That should be the first place you should ask about what flies to have.  

5 hours ago, Jim H said:

Generally, most Tarpon are caught on baits or lures, not as much on flies. It can be done, but more likely one of those things about right time & place and when the opportunity presents. Not as much about targeting them specifically, particularly with fly gear. Water clarify here is good, but not like in some place like FL, where they can be sight fished. If the guide fishes for them often, then you would stand a better chance with them. 

For Redfish, it's more about getting a fly in front of them than about the actual pattern used. Like anywhere else folks have their favorite flies. If you can find the fish, use what you have. Most of the popular shrimp, crab and baitfish flies used other places for Reds will work, except folks here tend to use them on the smaller side, like on size 4's if fishing the grass and perhaps 2 or 1 in the creeks. Not that they won't take something a bit larger, but due to a lot of pressure, they get skittish. 

Popular colors are black & purple, and the typical tans, browns, and olive shades. Darker colors are used on bright days and brighter can work on dark days. White is always a good color.

For the actual patterns, pick your poison. When I get to the coast, I still use Deceivers, Clouser Minnow's, Half & Half's, Bendbacks and Seaducers. Trout & Flounder like them too. Also use some rabbit strip flies and yarn crabs and carry some Gurglers & poppers. Have flies that are weighted & some that are not or very lightly weighted and some with & without weed guards

For fishing with a guide, the guide will certainly have favorite flies. That should be the first place you should ask about what flies to have.  

thanks for the feedback!

Good advice from Jim H.  I'd also recommend Hamilton's "Copperhead" for redfish.  Flashy shimp/crab pattern that works very well in the stained waters. 

copperheadfly.jpg

Ive been living in South Carolina for about six years so I can offer you some "local" knowledge. Your gonna have a tough time fly fishing for tarpon. They hang around sandbars at the mouth of inlets and in the rivers around structure like bridges. It can be done, but your going to need to hire a guide. In regards to redfish, Jim nailed it. Fish what your confident in, they are not too picky. I would gather a small assortment of flys to imitate fiddler crabs, juvenile blue crabs, mullet and you will be covered. If you want to chase tarpon, bring some large mullet/bunker flys as they will hang around the pods also. 

1 hour ago, EricS said:

Ive been living in South Carolina for about six years so I can offer you some "local" knowledge. Your gonna have a tough time fly fishing for tarpon. They hang around sandbars at the mouth of inlets and in the rivers around structure like bridges. It can be done, but your going to need to hire a guide. In regards to redfish, Jim nailed it. Fish what your confident in, they are not too picky. I would gather a small assortment of flys to imitate fiddler crabs, juvenile blue crabs, mullet and you will be covered. If you want to chase tarpon, bring some large mullet/bunker flys as they will hang around the pods also. 

thanks, we do have a guide booked so I'm sure we'll have a chance.

4 hours ago, bmac said:

Good advice from Jim H.  I'd also recommend Hamilton's "Copperhead" for redfish.  Flashy shimp/crab pattern that works very well in the stained waters. 

copperheadfly.jpg

nice fly I will tie something like it today, thank you

thanks for everyone that posted, I did manage to tie a few flies to take down with me and had some success but ironically mostly with tarpon.  I don't have pics because I left the fly down south but it was a black and purple baitfish pattern and we had about 3-4 hookups on Tarpon.  Too bad the line slipped out of my hands and the fish had too much slack and got off but there was a lot of tarpon action in the morning.  My wife did catch a redfish but not on one i tied.  I managed to land a couple black drum on the fly which apparently isn't that common, haha.  all in all it was a success but I didn't get the red I wanted. oh well.