infernovip

Line Roller Bushing and Gear Ratio - worst things that PENN did

4 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have hope someone from Penn will read this and in future they will improve some tech.

1. So I'm writing abut putting by PENN: Line Roller Bushing instead of ball bearings to reels like: Sargus, Battle, Pursuit and many more.
And the worst thing is that they put this type of brushing that is impossible to exchange with ball bearing.
Because of that on line roller is to much tension with lures and braid is more twisted. And only heavy lures can force line roller to move, for most of times this line roller doesn't do it's job and didn't move at all. To  make it works better you need to oil it all the time and when you do this during fishing this oil coming from brushing true line roller to braid so in the end you have the line covered with oil. And this brushing rubs against the element on which it is located, it causes damage that causes bigger problem line roller to move. For me it is one big mistake and because of that i sold Sargus II and i didn't buy any new Penn reel under spinfisher VI... but i really wanted to do this...

I have hope before you sell something it is tested so i didn't know why someone let it happen.

2. Gear ratio - to heavy inshore fishing is important lower gear ratio, it really helps and the fishing is more comfortable and now almost all PENN rells have high 6.2.

In this year finally shimano listen to the anglers and made stradic with few gear ratios that is available worldwide. Penn are you next?

That all my sorrows.

Good day.

Edited by infernovip

Posted (edited) · Report post

Cash take your trolling elsewhere. This is not a general forum, it's a manufacturers forum. Your negativity isn't welcome. 

Inverno you need to take another look at all of the reel lines that interest you. Penn has tremendous varieties of gear ratios to make you happy, everything from the economy lines up to the higher end reels. They may not have the exact ratio you're looking for in a particular reel but that doesn't mean it's not available in another reel size or reel category. Actually, Penn does a better job than most companies in this regard if you look closely. If you need help, please ask for it. Many hear would love to assist you, if not a Penn rep. themselves. 

Regarding the Bail wire line roller bearings, like anything else on a reel, a little maintenance goes a long way toward insuring free rolling bearings. If you don't wash the salt water off your reel after use, it's bound to seize up eventually casing the problems you spoke of. In which case even lubrication isn't going to help as you already noticed. Make phone call to Penn about the best maintenance practices they recommend for your reel and I'm sure many of the problems you've been experiencing will go away or at least minimized. 

Edited by Swimbaiter

16 hours ago, Swimbaiter said:

Cash take your trolling elsewhere. This is not a general forum, it's a manufacturers forum. Your negativity isn't welcome. 

Inverno you need to take another look at all of the reel lines that interest you. Penn has tremendous varieties of gear ratios to make you happy, everything from the economy lines up to the higher end reels. They may not have the exact ratio you're looking for in a particular reel but that doesn't mean it's not available in another reel size or reel category. Actually, Penn does a better job than most companies in this regard if you look closely. If you need help, please ask for it. Many hear would love to assist you, if not a Penn rep. themselves. 

Regarding the Bail wire line roller bearings, like anything else on a reel, a little maintenance goes a long way toward insuring free rolling bearings. If you don't wash the salt water off your reel after use, it's bound to seize up eventually casing the problems you spoke of. In which case even lubrication isn't going to help as you already noticed. Make phone call to Penn about the best maintenance practices they recommend for your reel and I'm sure many of the problems you've been experiencing will go away or at least minimized. 

troll this