Popasilov

Jetties: be careful outhere

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I thought I am experienced walking and fishing on the jetties.

Maybe I am, but it took just one, slippery, step, on the rocks, going down, to make a damage. I end up kissing big rock with side of my head. I hit a stone with my glasses, first, and then right side of my face wit right eye.

Lucky me, I had a glasses, to absorb, somehow, heavy impact.   I just ordered new ones (hello ZENNI)

It was all my fault, nobody else to blame. I was fishing in my beach shoes, walking low tide, less than 10 inches, about 100+ from shore line on a very nice north shore beach, next to long jetty.

Great snapper action with 6’6” Durango and 1000 reel but I decided to go to the other side of jetty. As soon as I start climbing up, I knew it could be a big mistake, but, hey, I know what I am doing, and nothing could happen to me.  Slip and fall always happen to other guys, not to me. Well this time, I was the other guy.

Climbing rocks in a beach shoes, especially on low tide, is never, ever, a good idea.

Still, after 6 days and bottle of 500mgr Tylenol, my right shoulder and left arm, hurt a lot, my eye is like 2 rounds with Tyson (well, I wouldn't last more than 20sec)

Be careful guys. don't step on rocks without proper gear.

Good luck

Edited by Popasilov

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for sharing,  It helps all of us avoid getting overconfident, especially when we know fish are there.  Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Oof! Not good. I stopped hopping over to the rocks a couple of years ago unless totally necessary. It's just a crap shoot. It's a lot like riding a motorcycle without a helmet. Man I should make a fishing helmet.  Could be the first. :laugh:  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Damn pop get well soon very unfortunate event. I’ve seen a couple slip post and I don’t own a pair of korkers i am usually out the door in some sneakers  but I think it’s time to get some korkers as me taking a slip would be the end of my fishing for sure. I wish you a speedy recovery man !

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

 

18 hours ago, wrboz said:

.....Hope you feel better soon.

 

17 hours ago, JoeC said:

...... Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

 

11 hours ago, Gooch88 said:

...... I wish you a speedy recovery man !

Thank you guys.

Like I said, I was lucky.

No broken bones, no concussion (besides not in the mood for jetty fishing), black eye, bruises on arms, shoulder, head and arms.

Most damage was done to my ego; it still hurts a lot.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Not good, not good at all. I hate seeing this. Falling is one of my fears as I get older

 

i hope you are feeling better soon my friend. Please be careful....

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Good Safety brief! Obviously things could have been much worse!

 

A few years back a high school mate at a reunion related to me his jetty accident off a northern NJ jetty (around Deal, NJ ??). He fell / slipped into a crevice, broke a bone / ankle and had to be rescued. He doesn't do jetties anymore as he was in his late 50s back then and can afford a boat ride.

 

I thought about that just a few weeks ago, up in RI fishing from rocks without Korkers on. After all it was just a quick hour or two of plugging around. No great expectations fishing wise ... and fortunately No accident(s) ..... but "what was I thinking".

 

Falls are the leading cause of serious injury and death. I think someone reported that a death from a fall on a jetty occurred (in Mass. ??) here just a week or two ago.

 

Easy to say, but not always practiced:   SAFETY FIRST!

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 11:02 PM, Popasilov said:

I thought I am experienced walking and fishing on the jetties.

Maybe I am, but it took just one, slippery, step, on the rocks, going down, to make a damage. I end up kissing big rock with side of my head. I hit a stone with my glasses, first, and then right side of my face wit right eye.

Lucky me, I had a glasses, to absorb, somehow, heavy impact.   I just ordered new ones (hello ZENNI)

It was all my fault, nobody else to blame. I was fishing in my beach shoes, walking low tide, less than 10 inches, about 100+ from shore line on a very nice north shore beach, next to long jetty.

Great snapper action with 6’6” Durango and 1000 reel but I decided to go to the other side of jetty. As soon as I start climbing up, I knew it could be a big mistake, but, hey, I know what I am doing, and nothing could happen to me.  Slip and fall always happen to other guys, not to me. Well this time, I was the other guy.

Climbing rocks in a beach shoes, especially on low tide, is never, ever, a good idea.

Still, after 6 days and bottle of 500mgr Tylenol, my right shoulder and left arm, hurt a lot, my eye is like 2 rounds with Tyson (well, I wouldn't last more than 20sec)

Be careful guys. don't step on rocks without proper gear.

Good luck

Sorry that you had an accident ..That's why they have the word "accident" in the dictionary..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, KironaFly said:

Good Safety brief! Obviously things could have been much worse!

 

A few years back a high school mate at a reunion related to me his jetty accident off a northern NJ jetty (around Deal, NJ ??). He fell / slipped into a crevice, broke a bone / ankle and had to be rescued. He doesn't do jetties anymore as he was in his late 50s back then and can afford a boat ride.

 

I thought about that just a few weeks ago, up in RI fishing from rocks without Korkers on. After all it was just a quick hour or two of plugging around. No great expectations fishing wise ... and fortunately No accident(s) ..... but "what was I thinking".

 

Falls are the leading cause of serious injury and death. I think someone reported that a death from a fall on a jetty occurred (in Mass. ??) here just a week or two ago.

 

Easy to say, but not always practiced:   SAFETY FIRST!

 

 

While working in manufacturing, they taught us about something called "Normalization of Deviance" and used the Challenger Space Shuttle disaster as an example.  Apparently, NASA engineers were aware of O-ring leaks on the fuel tanks, but never took the time to resolve the problem.  Why should they, nothing bad happened in several previous missions over a 4-year period.  But on the Challenger mission, leaking O-rings led to an explosion and horrible disaster.

Before I had Korkers, I believed that I could navigate hazards around rocks, etc safely.  I expressed this to an avid fisherman one day and his response was, "if you don't wear korkers on the rocks you WILL fall sooner or later".  I didn't believe him until, about 3 or 4 days later, I took a hard fall on slippery rocks at low tide.  Didn't do any damage to me but new surf rod and reel were scratched up pretty good.  I thanked the almighty for the "wake up call" and purchased Korkers that same day.

Why do we wait until something happens .......... is it a form of Normalization of Deviance?  If we're aware of this concept (Google it for more info), hopefully we will be more motivated NOT to put ourselves in unsafe situations.  I think it starts with a belief that all accidents are PREVENTABLE, not inevitable.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/20/2019 at 11:02 PM, Popasilov said:

I thought I am experienced walking and fishing on the jetties.

I hate jetty fishing. Way to dangerous for me as I am naturally a clumsy SOB and I have had plenty of falls just on the bank while fishing. 

 

Get better man. Hate to see people get hurt, and it makes me sick when someone loses their life. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 9/21/2019 at 11:25 AM, Gooch88 said:

Damn pop get well soon very unfortunate event. I’ve seen a couple slip post and I don’t own a pair of korkers i am usually out the door in some sneakers  but I think it’s time to get some korkers as me taking a slip would be the end of my fishing for sure. I wish you a speedy recovery man !

Dude I still fall with spikes. Those smooth black rocks and it’s like you’re on ice skates. Low tide you need to go slow and look for textured rocks so your spikes dig into something. Hitting my head on the rocks is a concern. Or falling off a cliff. But I’d rather die that way than not go at all. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.