jim sylvester

royal oak charcoal question

Rate this topic

30 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

Switched from Kingsford to Royal Oak charcoal.  Wondering if you use a chimney to start the Royal Oak, like I would do for the Kingsford.  I ran the first round  tonight and with Royal Oak being not uniform briquettes (like kingsford), it seemed like I didn't have enough fuel in the chimney

Just wondering if anyone has different techniques they use

thanks

Jim

RO doesn't light for me like regular Kingsford in the chimney, Kingsford i crumble 2 pages from a news paper underneath without a problem the oak needs some fuel added in my experience.

If your talking lump charcoal and not briquettes there are wide shallow chimneys available that work very well.  The char-broil half time charcoal starter is one and available thru amazon. Keep  it dry when not in use and they last years and years.  A sheet or 2 of paper is all it needs.  They light briquettes too but I find the tall narrow ones better for briquettes.

91zD8TDsMJL._SL1500_.jpg

Here's a trick I use when starting my chimney. I use a piece a crumbled newspaper as we all do. However, as a fire starter I drop in a small chunk of fatwood first, them dump the charcoal onto of it.  Even a small piece of farwood creates an intense fire.

Now light the newspaper as you normally would. Once the flame reaches the fatwood the intense flame will easily ignite the charcoal.

I usually use a couple of the little weber starter cubes in the egg. No chimney. 

If I'm in a rush I use a weed torch that attaches to a propane tank. That thing gets it kicking pretty quickly. 

On 9/20/2019 at 9:26 PM, jim sylvester said:

Hi Guys

Switched from Kingsford to Royal Oak charcoal.  Wondering if you use a chimney to start the Royal Oak, like I would do for the Kingsford.  I ran the first round  tonight and with Royal Oak being not uniform briquettes (like kingsford), it seemed like I didn't have enough fuel in the chimney

Just wondering if anyone has different techniques they use

thanks

Jim

I have 2 Weber chimneys I light up sometimes.  For the wsm I have to stack lump tightly like a puzzle.  Too much space between pieces if you just spill it out of the bag. 

I use the chimney as well.  I use a piece of wood in between the lump coal as well and I put some paper on the bottom before I add the coals and  in between the coals to keep it hotter.  I just got a bag of royal oak to try again. Never liked it but want to see if it's better.  It never burned right for me.

On 9/29/2019 at 7:50 PM, Nicky Da Fish said:

I like the RO for super hot direct grilling, it can be difficulty to control for longer cooks but gets rippin hot for searing steaks and the like.

Agreed....I kind of view Royal Oak lump as the Swiss Army Knife of charcoal.....it does a lot of things but other, specialized charcoals are better at certain cooks. I forget the name of this stuff and it's no longer made, but there was a hard-to-find lump that had chunks the size of cantaloupes and I'd use it for brisket, pulled pork etc. You could light it at Christmas and it would still be going on the 4th of July. It was no good for a hot, fast cook like searing a steak. I'm not really a fan of Cowboy because of all the contaminants found in it over the years (plywood, plastic pipe washers et), but the stuff does light up fast and burn hot. 

Royal Oak tip.

there are 2 kinds.  One says "Made in Paraguay (Uruguay?  One of the 'guays').  Ok stuff.  Another bag says Made in USA.  MUCH better.  Big Green Egg brand Charcoal is Royal Oak made in America.

Kamado Joe Big Block XL.  BIG chunks and burns like weapons grade uranium.  I tried a couple bags this summer.  Burns so well.  Drawback, it has zero wood smoke odor.  Weird almost.

Wicked Good Charcoal Brand is still my all time favorite.