wrboz

Adapting to your age

Rate this topic

76 posts in this topic

Anyone else finding their having to change their fishing style as they get older/physically more beat up. I’ve got a few herniated discs so I’m not as steady on my feet as I used to be. Took a pretty good **** off a jetty this summer which really opened my eyes. I can’t fish many of my spots I’ve been going to for years. Now I’m fishing more “old man” spots. I’m finding I’m having to learn new techniques and use different lures than what has worked for me for years. Not complaining, just saying, when you think you’ve got it sort of figured out the rules can change.

anyone else?

42 mins ago, wrboz said:

Anyone else finding their having to change their fishing style as they get older/physically more beat up. I’ve got a few herniated discs so I’m not as steady on my feet as I used to be. Took a pretty good **** off a jetty this summer which really opened my eyes. I can’t fish many of my spots I’ve been going to for years. Now I’m fishing more “old man” spots. I’m finding I’m having to learn new techniques and use different lures than what has worked for me for years. Not complaining, just saying, when you think you’ve got it sort of figured out the rules can change.

anyone else?

I’m right there with ya bro.  56 former electrician with back problems.  Load up on Advil before a big day.  It’s frustrating for sure.  I don’t make the 3 mile walks in the sand much anymore.  But I’m still having fun. Just wish I could do more.

I used to eat Advil like M&M's. Only way to make it thru the day.

Finally found a Doctor that prescribed magnesium/potassium and my  aching muscles went away.

i am in my early 70's.

In a word, yes. In fact hell yes. 

Im 56 and a electrical superintendent on a large job right now and do 6-7 miles of walking in a 8 hour day. I’m setting up their day and keeping track of 14 guys. Plus having to do specific projects with them, being they don’t know how to. I’m always teaching something. The weekend I’d rather sit for one day. There are days like today my legs hurt and they just want to scream, stop it. 

Careful with the Advil! I used to take a lot of it too. Eventually, after several years, it started causing internal bleeding. Now the docs have me banned for life.

I was thinking about the same question few days ago.  Should I downsize my tackles to suit my age? I used to fish rock and surf at my younger age hooping from one location to another with my 13-15ft rods.  I still do that now, but the locations cover seem to lower down as I cant hoop too much anymore.  

May be I will downsize my rods choice to 8-10ft and just stay with jetty fishing, but what am I suppose to do with my current tackles? And I don't usually sell my tackles. My two sons don't really into fishing even though I try to teach them n bring them to fishing when I have the chance.   

Well, just pray n hope that our body will hold up for that last cast :hooked:

I'll be turning 75 in January and can tell you my style of fishing has changed quite a bit.  No solo fishing anymore.  No fishing jetties like i used to, my balance isn't as good as it once was. Lighter rods.  Stopping to rest more often.  I no longer walk the beach but have relied on my beach buggies to get me around now for more than 15 years.

It's all good though as I realize where I am in my life and do not have any problems with it.  

I have definitely changed my fishing based on my age.  I no longer fish on the rocks, limited to mainly the beach and back bays.   Balance is definitely a problem due to a combination of age and bouts of vertigo.   I have recently purchased lighter equipment to help me fish longer.   Having said all that I can still cast for hours and walk quite a distance, even with waders.  Altough I can no longer fish like I did years ago, I still enjoy it as much as ever.

Diabetes issue A1C going up due to not taking my evening pills that makes me sleepy during night fishing. So my doctor switched to different pills and wants me to take every thing in the morning. so far it's all good . But now the sight can't see that good . Fishing at night sure change for me but as long you can still those bump it heals the back pain and fatigue.

When you’re young and strong you can pretty much power your way through things. With age comes physical limitations which can’t be powered through; they require finesse. 

Lighter tackle is a big part of my change in technique. I’m using more small jigs with plastic and a lot less plugs. I don’t have anything in my bag anymore that weighs more than an ounce. My striper bag is looking more and more like I could go catch largemouths! 

Now that I’m spending more time in river/backwater situations it’s like re-learning much of what I do. Experience helps when approaching new problems and I’m enjoying the new ways.

I’m catching more shorts these days, but isn’t everybody? I’m still having a blast, but using lighter tackle.

Just turned 60 this spring. Advil is your friend along with a few joints, keeps me stupid enough for hours of casting. Climbing SE light stairs is a drag but still do it.  I find catching fish really is the best pain reliever. I’m an electrician and all those years on ladders has taken it’s tole on my knees, back,neck,ankles,elbows,hands. Did I miss anything. Last week I put a treble hook through  my finger. First one in all those years of fishing, not bad. Oh,forgot about not being able to see very good. Lol

Funny how life changes. I started having trouble with my knees rock hopping on jetties, embankements and other uneven surfaces back in my 40's. In my mind i was still 30 so I just powered through it. When I got into my 50's I started feeling my age and navigated  those areas much more slowly (and with a hiking staff). Now in my 60's even one trip in such conditions can give me issues for months (as my throbbing left keee is telling me this AM.) The good news is that there is plenty of other beach, river, and boat fishing to fill in those gaps. 

Take a look at Century rods.  Extremely light but the key is the distance with minimal effort.  With Century rods you take a less is more approach.  Knock about 25% of you power off your cast and achieve more distance.  Slow things down and power thru your cast, the rod does the work for you. No more soar shoulders and backs from casting all night and you'll be reaching waters you've never reached before. 

I will hit 70 next month. I had to change a lot of ways I did thing's even up to how I did them 4 years ago. I use rods no bigger than 11', I do have one 12' I only use for big fish, I don't use it to much. I also use a beach buggy. Casting plugs along the beach, I don't walk real far. Biggest thing I had to learn was I lost casting distance , mostly with rods over 9'. Jetties , I make sure I have all the safety equipment on me , Korker's , dressed right, and I take it real easy, seems my sense of balance ain't what it use to be. But I still have fun.