Inshore

NEW Rapala Xrap Magnum Cast & Prey

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

Being a tackle junkie I’m always looking for the next thing and I found something interesting this time....

Check out my newest additions to the stack... Just released and arrived from the land down under mate!

Rapala Xrap Magnum Cast = lipped minnow bait, 4” and weighs 1.5oz YES, 1.5oz

Rapala Xrap Magnum Prey = stick bait, 4” and weighs 1.4oz YES, 1.4oz

Just passing info along FWIW

A1735EC6-2B17-4240-9582-C7E9A0EA50CA.jpeg

Edited by Inshore

3 hours ago, CoffeeHangover said:

It has a weight transfer system, right?

No transfer system, no rattles, just a solid thru wired bait.

I think the core is lead or other heavy metal, but who knows?

I’m taking them for a freshwater test drive tomorrow morning, we’ll see...

Edited by Inshore

Te 3rd one down looks like a pretty good imitation of a mullet.

I've wanted to try them because some good fishermen I respect seem to catch on them in the surf.

I've never pulled te trigger on them, primarily because I have an inventory of onther minnow swimmers, e.g. various size SP, Various size Bombers including long cast, Red Fins, etc...

I like the solidness of the Rapala lure and especially the szie / weight. On the Rapala web-sight it says it has a rolling wobble on a fast rerieve & dives 4 - 5 & feet. That sounds a bit too deep for most of the surf conditions I fish. It might be that deep towords the end of the casts, but in closer where the mullet will be near the surface, it would be digging into the sand.

You thoughts?

Edited by jjdbike

7 hours ago, jjdbike said:

I've wanted to try them because some good fishermen I respect seem to catch on them in the surf.

I've never pulled te trigger on them, primarily because I have an inventory of onther minnow swimmers, e.g. various size SP, Various size Bombers including long cast, Red Fins, etc...

I like the solidness of the Rapala lure and especially the szie / weight. On the Rapala web-sight it says it has a rolling wobble on a fast rerieve & dives 4 - 5 & feet. That sounds a bit too deep for most of the surf conditions I fish. It might be that deep towords the end of the casts, but in closer where the mullet will be near the surface, it would be digging into the sand.

You thoughts?

Keep in mind these are new and just released in Australia best I can tell. So when looking up info ensure you are looking at Rapala's International/EU web site. That said, I just had them out at the local lake to test cast/swim 'em. They cast almost as far as a 1.5oz Coltsniper jig and sink almost as fast. I feel the lip does very little to assist with diving, but rather imparts a unique swimming action with a tight side to side swimming roll, I'll try to upload a vid. The prey swims with a cool "controlled tail wag" and I like it better than the cast. Add in a rhythmic pump of the rod and they both dart to the sides. Very cool! Being that they sink, they can be used for the entire water column, but keep em moving or down they go... LOL!

The color on the ones shown above are anchovy and Rapala uses the same dark blue metallic finish they use on the North America mullet pattern, so they will work well for mullet. 

Now, for a shallow slow sink/suspending mullet bait, (I go with) you may want to consider the XRap long cast shallow for larger sizes and the subwalk for a smaller bait, all in the mullet pattern. If you need diving, go with the XRap saltwater or long cast for a lipped bait that digs/dives, in the mullet pattern. I believe XRaps dive deeper than any SP, Hydro LC or Mag Darter...

NOTE; I change all stock in-lines (if equipped) to trebs...

IMG_0149.jpg.97db9ffcb485ee85d0ab933ca0025594.jpg

Above;

Long cast shallow 14 5.5" 1-7/8oz mullet

Long cast shallow 12 4.75" 1-1/4oz mullet

Subwalk 09 3.5" 3/4oz mullet

Magnum prey 10 4" 1-1/2oz anchovy

Magnum cast 10 4" 1-1/2oz anchovy

IMG_0150.jpg.05538f678bc40620076fce31afad66e8.jpg

above;

Long cast 14 5.5" 1-7/8oz ghost

Long cast 12 4.75" 1-1/4oz ghost

Saltwater 10 4" 1/2oz ghost

Magnum cast 10 4" 1-1/2oz HD ghost

Edited by Inshore

25 mins ago, Inshore said:

Keep in mind these are new and just released in Australia best I can tell. So when looking up info ensure you are looking at Rapala's International/EU web site. That said, I just had them out at the local lake to test cast/swim 'em. They cast almost as far as a 1.5oz Coltsniper jig and sink almost as fast. I feel the lip does very little to assist with diving, but rather imparts a unique swimming action with a tight side to side swimming roll, I'll try to upload a vid. The prey swims with a cool "controlled tail wag" and I like it better than the cast. Add in a rhythmic pump of the rod and they both dart to the sides. Very cool! Being that they sink, they can be used for the entire water column, but keep em moving or down they go... LOL!

The color on the ones shown above are anchovy and Rapala uses the same dark blue metallic finish they use on the North America mullet pattern, so they will work well for mullet. 

Now, for a shallow slow sink/suspending mullet bait, (I go with) you may want to consider the XRap long cast shallow for larger sizes and the subwalk for a smaller bait, all in the mullet pattern. If you need diving, go with the XRap saltwater or long cast for a lipped bait that digs/dives, in the mullet pattern. I believe XRaps dive deeper than any SP, Hydro LC or Mag Darter...

NOTE; I change all stock in-lines (if equipped) to trebs...

IMG_0149.jpg.97db9ffcb485ee85d0ab933ca0025594.jpg

Above;

Long cast shallow 14 5.5" 1-7/8oz mullet

Long cast shallow 12 4.75" 1-1/4oz mullet

Subwalk 09 3.5" 3/4oz mullet

Magnum prey 10 4" 1-1/2oz anchovy

Magnum cast 10 4" 1-1/2oz anchovy

IMG_0150.jpg.05538f678bc40620076fce31afad66e8.jpg

above;

Long cast 14 5.5" 1-7/8oz ghost

Long cast 12 4.75" 1-1/4oz ghost

Saltwater 10 4" 1/2oz ghost

Magnum cast 10 4" 1-1/2oz HD ghost

Wow, great detailed and informative response. Thank you very much!

I'm looking at the 4.75" long cast shallow. It doesn't have any lip what-so-ever. 

What type of action does this have if any? 

I'm guessing it will cast pretty well w/ out the lip as it's pretty streamlined.

Does one need to impart their own action to this lure, i.e. speed up, slow down, jerks or surges?

Thanks!

JD

On 9/20/2019 at 4:08 PM, Inshore said:

Being a tackle junkie I’m always looking for the next thing and I found something interesting this time....

Check out my newest additions to the stack... Just released and arrived from the land down under mate!

Rapala Xrap Magnum Cast = lipped minnow bait, 4” and weighs 1.5oz YES, 1.5oz

Rapala Xrap Magnum Prey = stick bait, 4” and weighs 1.4oz YES, 1.4oz

Just passing info along FWIW

A1735EC6-2B17-4240-9582-C7E9A0EA50CA.jpeg

Just found these on one website and it said that they are $29.99.  Is that true? 

24 mins ago, jjdbike said:

Wow, great detailed and informative response.

This is OCD at work! LOL!!!

25 mins ago, jjdbike said:

I'm looking at the 4.75" long cast shallow. It doesn't have any lip what-so-ever. 

What type of action does this have if any? 

I'm guessing it will cast pretty well w/ out the lip as it's pretty streamlined.

Does one need to impart their own action to this lure, i.e. speed up, slow down, jerks or surges?

The 12 is the size I use most for mullet... they cast fairly well and I seen no difference between the lipped and non-lipped version far as distance. I say get one of each. I use the lipped version for “bigger” water, (+4’) as it stays dug in rather than wash around.

Action wise, they roll and dart slightly side to side, but most action I impart. Reel, twitch, twitch, reel, twitch, twitch, twitch then repeat. Keeping a low rod tip just above the water twitching to my side. Each “twitch” is about 1’...

I do most of my fishing these days with stick baits. Absolutely love them!!!

Short story... one evening on a Jersey beach a blitz broke out in front of me. Once the chaos was over and the mass mob moved on and as a few guys remained, I totally out fished everyone else by throwing a short tall profile stick bait. I mean I was the only one catching at this point! Guys throwing all sorts of stuff, poppers, SPs, ML swimmers, shads, all of it not catching and the stick bait was getting it done. Everyone changing plugs every few cast, but no one had the right thing.. I loved that feeling as I put on a clinic that night! ROFL!