FishermanTim

How old is your oldest rod?

Rate this topic

51 posts in this topic

I have a Shakespeare 9' rod I acquired back in the early 90's, and I didn't buy it, so it could be a little older than that.

I still currently use it off of the Powder Point bridge in Duxbury.

The oldest rod that I still use every fall is one I had made in 1981. Had it re wrapped 3 times. It is by far my favorite Striper rod from the boat. 

6’ Southbend fiberglass/hollow spinning rod bought in 1972. Paid $24 with paper route money. Haven’t used it for years. Still have the Garcia Mitchell 300 that I used on the rod.

The rod in my profile pic is the oldest one i have.  it has a Varmac wooden handle.  not sure what brand of rod it is though.  I replaced the rod tip since the original was smashed up.  Grandpa used to use it for Westcoast striper fishing in the 1960s, maybe even 1950s.  it's about 9'6" including the handle.  Works killer for crabsnares.

Oldest one I use is a sage rplx flyrod.  Probably 30 + years old now.  Did have a glass spinning rod that was probably 40 years old that a just tossed in the trash recently 

Early ‘80’s Daiwa. Not sure of the model but it’s fiberglass and real whippy. I think I could pull the tip around to the butt to form a circle. Talk about parabolic! Haven’t used it in years.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have a Pflueger fly fishing outfit from around 1975  - 1976 I bought from a family owned B&T on Ferry St in Everett, Ma. Don't remember the name.

I have a Daiwa 4000 reeI bought in 78 from Cappy's in Everett after the reel I had, was destroyed by an epic bluefish blitz at Revere Beach on Labor Day weekend. Don't have the rod with this.

I also have a 6' light spinning rod, from the late 70's that originally had a Mitchell 300 on it. All the eyes have been replaced and the tip a couple of times. I still use it for Fluke fishing with a level wind reel on it.

Edited by natsgrampy

Posted (edited) · Report post

That I own -

An ancient bamboo fly rod, no idea how old,

and a really cool mint pistol grip, 6 sided, steel, (Gephart) GEP "Actionized" Rod with a like new Shakespeare Professional knuckle buster reel - which hangs in my office.

That I still use once in a long while, a 10' one piece yellow Grissly Fenwick, on it's third rebuild, I started fishing with in 1973 and it was my go to rod for 20 years. Still have the same Penn Surfmaster that was on that rod until it's first rebuild, from conventional to spinning , although the Surfmaster is barely recognizable anymore it's been upgraded so many times

That I still use fairly often, a 10' (extended at the butt to 10' 6") one piece Kennedy Fisher XO8720

and a Kennedy Fisher 850 that's still my go to boat flukeing spin rod

That I use very often, every spring during the bunker chunking time,a heavy 10' Harnell 552 that I got from Tony Spina (Lex Lures). Still one of the greatest weight n bait rods ever built

Edited by Sudsy