Codfish? Anybody out?

Rate this topic

The Knife

We were out around Jefferys on opening Sunday.

Lots of shorts and dogs around while fishing within the pack of 3 party boats and @ 15 recreational guys.

We made a move to drift over some harder bottom in @ 220-250ft and it was lights out!

Jigs/teaser and bait rigs worked all day.

20190916_083051.jpg

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines

2 mins ago, TBYRD said:

We were out around Jefferys on opening Sunday.

Lots of shorts and dogs around while fishing within the pack of 3 party boats and @ 15 recreational guys.

We made a move to drift over some harder bottom in @ 220-250ft and it was lights out!

Jigs/teaser and bait rigs worked all day.

20190916_083051.jpg

Awesome! Great picture! thanks for the info. i was planning on hitting 200' or so. it has been a while since I've been out there. Sometimes they are much deeper. that helps. THANKS

With all of the great times I'm having with my 11yr old son offshore fishing, I feel it is my responsibility to preach and teach just a little.

Please practice sustainable bottom fishing practices.

While out on Jefferys fishing amongst the pack of 15-20 boats I saw way too many short cod and haddock floating around due to "barotrama" 

When these fish are brought up from the deep, the small amount of air in their swim bladders drastically expands causing bulging eyes and expelling stomachs out of their mouths.

Although alive and healthy, they are unable to decend back to the bottom with all of this pressure built up inside them.

There are a few methods of helping these future keepers to live on, and possibly become the monsters of tomorrow.

Deflating the swim bladder from the side of the fish, NOT the stomach bulging out of it's mouth, with a hollow needle is acceptable if done precisely.

Without the knowledge and experience of where the exact location for each species should be "vented"  this method may injure more fish than it saves.

My favorite way to get these little guys back down is with a decending device.

Whether commercially made or DIY, these simple contraptions hold the fish to a weight which is lowered down and, with a sharp upward jerk of the line, release the fish "re-compressed" back to the environment from where it came.

Thanks for doing your part.

Your grandkids will thank you for it. :howdy:

Ditch Troll #338

-Tight Lines

I fished East on Sunday.

Tons of dogs, followed by Macks and Whiting that hit or were snagged by the jig.

Fished 80-350' and only shook the dogs at the deepest depths, but even then caught one. just not the one a minute we were seeing in shallower water.

Tally for the day was 2 keeper haddock.

caught 1/2 dozen short cod.

Saw tuna busting and a few whales. Got me ass kicked on a long windy ride home.