Quonnie

Conventional Surf Gear

Rate this topic

15 posts in this topic

How many of you use Conventional Tackle to fish the surf. I use Spin gear but I an thinking of giving conventional level wind gear a shot, I have reels and I would think you can get more distance with it than spin gear. Just curious as to why you do not see much of being used anymore.

13 mins ago, stripercrazy said:

I use conv for really big plugs or jigs eels if you’ve ever pencil popped for a few hrs with a conv you’ll know what I mean lol it’s more work

Agree...I use conventional for swimming plugs and jigs...spinning for topwater.

Some people can get more distance with conventional. I'm absolutely not one of them. Keep that stuff on the boat and away from me.

My analogy would be to look at it more like a set of golf clubs. You need certain clubs for certain shots just like you need certain setups for certain types of fishing. It's not say that you can't use a driver to putt with but it's a lot easier with a putter. Plus it makes owning a **** ton of rods justifiable.

The newer level winds are really nice and cast much easier than old school stuff.  Daiwa's T-Wing system is a great improvement.

I had an older US model Pen 525 mag which I loved but needed to get rid of it for a right hand reel.  The 525 could cast pretty far but was unforgiving if you got distracted either casting or thumbing.   

The reel I was looking for was something I could use part time and didn't need to become an expert in. 

This year, with some advice from an NJ member, I picked up a Daiwa Coastal TW.  Great real, easy to cast and very forgiving.  I've only had about 30 mins on it but so far, I am tossing a 3/4 oz epoxy with some great distance.  I just like to switch it up sometimes and cast straight line instead of coils.

18 hours ago, Dreamland said:

The newer level winds are really nice and cast much easier than old school stuff.  Daiwa's T-Wing system is a great improvement.

I had an older US model Pen 525 mag which I loved but needed to get rid of it for a right hand reel.  The 525 could cast pretty far but was unforgiving if you got distracted either casting or thumbing.   

The reel I was looking for was something I could use part time and didn't need to become an expert in. 

This year, with some advice from an NJ member, I picked up a Daiwa Coastal TW.  Great real, easy to cast and very forgiving.  I've only had about 30 mins on it but so far, I am tossing a 3/4 oz epoxy with some great distance.  I just like to switch it up sometimes and cast straight line instead of coils.

The t-wing is something that I keep looking at.

3 hours ago, R.R. Bridge Fisher said:

The t-wing is something that I keep looking at.

It is a smoother cast with the wide exit instead of an eyelet  Plus the external centrifugal control makes it much easier to change lures fast.  It's only a 200 size with 15 lbs of drag, but with the right pole it can handle most of what I fish for.  Conventional will never replace or be my go to over spin gear, but it travels in the car with it.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I learned not to use levelwinds on a splashy breachway or jetty, or even the beach on a windy day. Tiny grains of sand will find the grooves in your wormgear and the world will grind to a stop as your plug disappears because all your line has piled up on one side of the spool. Pencil poppers are a bitch with a thumb leveler though.

Edited by Stewie