eddieg710

Fall 2019 Swap/Challenge

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

I wanted to see if there is any interest in a fall challnege/swap. I'm up for whatever. 

• Who's in?
  • Swap or Challenge?
  • Type of plug?
  • Due Date?

Go!

How about a stress-free challenge: everybody puts up three of whatever they have already finished...all the same or completely different, new or used, and so on...then proceed as usual with the most popular taking half the field, then round robin. The whole thing could be done in a couple of weeks, even with videos.

I'm out of commission right now with a broken band saw but would definitely enter if I could fix the saw in time.

I do like the idea of no theme, lots of room for creativity.  I wouldn't mind another themed swap though especially if it was easier than gliders :laugh:

4 hours ago, Kent I said:

How about a stress-free challenge: everybody puts up three of whatever they have already finished...all the same or completely different, new or used, and so on...then proceed as usual with the most popular taking half the field, then round robin. The whole thing could be done in a couple of weeks, even with videos.

Could you explain the " take half the field, round robin" thing. 

I don't know if I'm good enough yet to be building plugs for others.  But I'd like to give it a go anyway. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

In several of the recent plug swaps, each participant builds three plugs and posts photos of them, then each of the participants lists the plugs in his order of preference. The list of participants is randomized to determine picking order, and in the first round of picks, each person gets his first choice, unless it is no longer available, in which case, he gets his 2nd or 3rd or next available choice. The person who runs out of plugs first gets one plug from each of the participants. Then there are two more rounds, conducted in round robin fashion, with the original order reversed, and I can't recall how the third round goes.

The beauty of this method is that, although most people end up with two plugs instead of the three they give away, there is no limit on the number of participants, and each person only has to supply three plugs. Also, it's really fun. As far as I know, NYNistler is the first one who ran a swap this way, but several swaps have been run this way (or with minor variations) since then. 

I guess this sounds complicated, but in practice its really simple (well,except for the person who has to do the randomizing and work the pick list). You can find the original plug swap where this method was used by looking through posts by NYNistler. 

Edited by Kent I
Typo

Just for the record, I like the way we've been doing it lately where we just take turns and pick instead of ranking plugs. I always feel like a jerk when I have to say "I thought this one was the worst". 

I hope swaps and challenges continue, for a bunch of reasons: they're as fun to watch as to participate in, it's interesting to see that (for example) the guy who builds the world's best glider might have trouble with a darter, (when people share their engineering) you get to see significantly different approaches to get similar swims, some guys' designs are entirely their own while others build from specs they found published in a book (I see no problem with either), etc., etc....

I've received some great looking plugs in swaps that never saw the water: the only time I specifically bring a metal lip is for big blues, and I have beat up metal lips waiting for that opportunity. I just can't sacrifice such a beautiful paint job.

I got a big Rayndog popper and a Norkal poppin pencil that both work great, caught fish in conditions I was not gonna take my phone out for a picture.

One guy told me he loved my mini-darter and caught many fish while others skunked. Another guy said it was too small and he couldn't get it to work...my point being, in all that I've mentioned above, is that the swaps promote the diversity and creativity to accommodate the many many different fishing conditions we encounter. One guy wants a lively darter for landlocked fish in a reservoir without current and the next guy, who fishes a fast sweeping beach, is gonna find that same lure won't hold...etc.

I haven't seen swaps for poured plastics yet, or digitally printed plugs. I don't make either, but would like to watch.

Lastly, I think the swaps provide a 'coming of age' rite for builders moving from novice to middlin' abilities...can you get a batch of 8 done, on a timeline, that swim right and look good? Are these lures tested, or do they just look pretty?

23 mins ago, Antagonizer said:

I’ve got many other challenge ideas ready and waiting.  Just thought builders may have lost interest.  

what ideas were you considering? I'm 'out' (grad school, work, fall run, still recovering from Lyme, etc.) until builds due in spring, but I wanna build interest, and watch.