Bdemiri23

Beach Driving Question

Rate this topic

28 posts in this topic

Thank you in advance for any help with this question. I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty (trail rated) . I was driving in some soft sand the other day and the vehicle seemed to be struggling. I am fairly new to driving on the beach.I do know that this is probably not the ideal truck for the sand. 

1. Should I be on locked 4wd Low or just 4wd?

2. I aired down to about 26 psi? Is this low enough?

Thank you for your help.

1 min ago, Bdemiri23 said:

Thank you in advance for any help with this question. I have a 2008 Jeep Liberty (trail rated) . I was driving in some soft sand the other day and the vehicle seemed to be struggling. I am fairly new to driving on the beach.I do know that this is probably not the ideal truck for the sand. 

1. Should I be on locked 4wd Low or just 4wd?

2. I aired down to about 26 psi? Is this low enough?

Thank you for your help.

1. 4wd

2. 15 psig or lower.  26 psig caused the struggling.

26psi is way to much. 15psi at minimum. 

If you got stuck and someone noticed your tire pressure was that high, they’d be well within their rights to not tow you out and risk damaging their vehicle. 

Your Liberty is perfectly fine for beach driving. 

43 mins ago, Darth Baiter said:

1. 4wd

2. 15 psig or lower.  26 psig caused the struggling.

What he said.  And even at that, be careful.  No sudden starts or stops and watch out for the holes/craters people or kids dig on the beaches.  Also, don't fall over the lip of the beach as that can be a disaster.  Be safe out there.

5 mins ago, nofomofo said:

Is 1/2 of normal tire pressure a good rule of thumb?

15 psi is the rule of thumb. 

My tires are 44psi.  If I am at 22 I am too high. 

Its not that complicated, air down to 15. 

oh sandflee, i disagree.....at least in soft stuff, with a jeep liberty (i have 2)... 4 low is way easier on the transmission and allows the cooling system a few hunderd more rpm`s to do its job, especially if your running at higher than optimal tire pressures.... 

2 hours ago, Bdemiri23 said:

Thank you everyone, 

Going to try 18psi and 4low it seems.

4hi and 15 or lower psi. The other day in my wrangler I was at like 12 psi driving around the beach and halfway to my destination I realized I was in 2wd, that's how important airing down is. 26 is too high, you're digging yourself in. You want to float. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Personally I would air down to 15 and only go to low if the engine still was working too hard.

here's a good tip,  if you are driving on fairly hard sand and all of a sudden run into soft sand don't just gun the engine harder.  Slow down or even stop and let the transmission downshift,  then start going again,  this really helps.

Edited by surffshr

11 hours ago, Bdemiri23 said:

Thank you everyone, 

Going to try 18psi and 4low it seems.

Why not 15?

Where I drive in that’s the requirement, and most everyone here seems to agree with it. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

sometimes there isnt a way to fill the tires back up near by and on the street there is a noticeable difference between 20 and 15....

so a little higher pressure is used as a compromise ...not saying it is right but before i put my co2 tank in my vehicle i would at times only air down enough to travel and not float, a roll of the dice if you will.

I guess you guys running 10 to 15 psi have never popped   a bead....on the beach that sucks.

Edited by riggler
need to learn to spell