fishfinder401

Ny freshwater license reciprocity/ fishing Esopus creek

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

So, I am traveling from RI to Ashoken NY this Friday-Sunday for a knife making seminar and aparently the place we are stating in right on Esopus creek. I figure I may as well being a fly rod with me incase I get an hour or so to check out one of the trails in the area and wondered if RI and NY were some of the stated with reciprocity for freshwater licenses or if inshoukd get s weekend license for NY

Also, does anyone have experience fishing the river? I will be at the Ashoken center on beaverkill road if that helps narrow down the stretch I would be on 

Thanks for any input

Noel

The licences are not reciprocal..You can purchase the licence at a bait and tackle store or online.. That area also has a reservoir that you need a second permit...That area is out of Kingston taking  Route 28 east to west in the Catskills.. Great fishing  

Edited by sytheteacher

35 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

The licences are not reciprocal..You can purchase the licence at a bait and tackle store or online.. That area also has a reservoir that you need a second permit...That area is out of Kingston taking  Route 28 east to west in the Catskills.. Great fishing  

Good to know, I'll grab one online before I head out. What kind of fish should I expected to be around there? I've never fished anywhere near there before

I spent 4 days in early August in Phoenica fishing the esopus creek. Didn't have much success early on fishing under the bridges and overpass in town however with a little exploring we found the trout; We mostly used UL spinning setups and 1/8oz kastmasters. Did even better with salmon eggs. A few fly guys were around and did ok. Bring waders obviously, youre going to have to do a lot of walking past the hard hit  most common  areas to find the fish. Phoenica is close to where you will be there is a hardware/tackle shop in town that provides fishing licenses. 

Also. Sytheteacher is correct about the reservoir, you will need a 2nd permit to fish the Ashokan reservoir. I didn't have much success there however I did fish from the banks so who knows. 

Here are some maps from the New York State Department of Environmental Conservation which show the public access areas on the river.  https://www.dec.ny.gov/docs/fish_marine_pdf/pfresopusck.pdf

Also, remember that you can get a 1-day license for $10 or a 3-day license for $28 if you won't be back in the next year, and don't want to pony up $50 for a yearly license (which is good for a year from date of purchase).

BUT for the reservoir it is a separate permit... So ask the locals for instructions where you can fish legally...The stream holds trout, bass and carp... That area is great fishing...

7 mins ago, fishfinder401 said:

Good to know, I'll grab one online before I head out. What kind of fish should I expected to be around there? I've never fished anywhere near there before

If you are fishing the Esopus definitely trout. 

3 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

BUT for the reservoir it is a separate permit... So ask the locals for instructions where you can fish legally...The stream holds trout, bass and carp... That area is great fishing...

He can get an access permit online on the DEP website. Google access permit for Ashokan Reservoir 

47 mins ago, Slick706 said:

He can get an access permit online on the DEP website. Google access permit for Ashokan Reservoir 

A NYS access permit is good for all the reservoirs to enter their property that come with a hag tag parking permit. But if you are going to fish you also need the NYS fishing licence... 

Try Small Rooster tail and Mepps  in-line spinners, rubber worms, small minnow and crank baits, and rubber on jigs. Fishfinder401, Do you happen to know if the saltwater Marine Registry card you get in NY, is legal to fish the salt in RI? I asked in the Rhody forum but,  I’m still not sure.

I just got back from fishing the Esopus for 2 days. There are fish EVERYWHERE. You can't go wrong no matter where you go. While there are a TON of trout in this creek don't expect to get great size. Most trout are between 6-14". with 8 being the norm. Look for a sign for fishing along route 28 and pull over. Have fun!