Br8an

Epoxy jig

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

2 mins ago, nateD said:

Switch to an inline hook, throw a piece of gulp on there and they will catch fluke too.

I may do that just to cross Fluke off the list, I'm still shocked that I've caught Tog on them. I really only use Epoxies when targeting funnies or BSB/Porgies everything else has been by-catch.

1 hour ago, NPV said:

I may do that just to cross Fluke off the list, I'm still shocked that I've caught Tog on them. I really only use Epoxies when targeting funnies or BSB/Porgies everything else has been by-catch.

This help weed out the small porgies?   You put gulp on it?  

I was fishing for bonito and saw big cloud of what I assumed was BSB.  So I dropped the epoxy I had on my line to see what was down there and sure enough  got a BSB.   

17 mins ago, notime said:

I was fishing for bonito and saw big cloud of what I assumed was BSB.  So I dropped the epoxy I had on my line to see what was down there and sure enough  got a BSB.   

Yes and yes, if they are really ravenous they will hit it without any bait.

3 hours ago, Paul E said:

Durable until they touch a rock. 

I have many and I find that the green-over-gold is a versitile pattern for un-funny fish.  Porgies like if, too. 

That’s correct. I fished off a jetty and kept hitting the rock. Lol. 

Never had an issue with the durability of the Hogy epoxies. If you're fishing from a jetty and they're smacking the rocks as your taking it out of the water, sure, it'll break and/or crack. I have a few that have caught countless bones, spanish, and albies and they're as good as new.

3 hours ago, NPV said:

I've landed every fish in the sound minus fluke and weakfish on epoxy jigs. They are very versatile and work well for bass.

I've caught fluke as well on those...sometimes if bonito/albies aren't showing from the jetties I'm fishing, I'll jig on the bottom, and most any fish will eat it...I've caught fluke, sea bass, sea robins, scup, tautog and other bottom fish...I've even caught bonito and albies on the bottom, while trying to pass time jigging the bottom, waiting for funny fish to show up.

3 hours ago, albacized said:

I've caught fluke as well on those...sometimes if bonito/albies aren't showing from the jetties I'm fishing, I'll jig on the bottom, and most any fish will eat it...I've caught fluke, sea bass, sea robins, scup, tautog and other bottom fish...I've even caught bonito and albies on the bottom, while trying to pass time jigging the bottom, waiting for funny fish to show up.

What’s your recommended weight for jigging on the bottom? 

I use the 5/8 oz for bonito/albie fishing...I don't change over when I bottom fish, because the bottom fishing isn't a serious effort...it's just passing time while waiting for the funny fish to show up...but it's effective enough while just messing around to lead me to believe that it's a good method to target bottom fish

15 hours ago, notime said:

I fish them naked, if I'm going to use Gulp I break out the bucktails. And yes they tend to weed out larger fish, here is a decent BSB from this weekend.

btw4Kx7.jpg

I have heard they are good for stripers! I just got a few and haven't had the change to go out and catch with it. Everything I have been reading though has been promising.