SaberTooth

Things You See At The Canal

Rate this topic

71 posts in this topic

Been there twice this week. Didn't catch a fish but didn't give that a second thought.

First, watched a gigantic petroleum tanker silently pass through. Later,

watched the train cross the railroad bridge and marveled as the bridge was lowered and raised.

Workers on the bridge were rappelling along side the counterweights and outer tower.

Then had a delicious breakfast at Leo's. Next day had lunch at the east end and watched the largest

private yacht I've ever seen pass through. Could only wonder who was on it. Ten minutes later a whale breaches

forty yards directly in front of me. Gotta appreciate this special place.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 mins ago, SaberTooth said:

Been there twice this week. Didn't catch a fish but didn't give that a second thought.

First, watched a gigantic petroleum tanker silently pass through. Later,

watched the train cross the railroad bridge and marveled as the bridge was lowered and raised.

Workers on the bridge were rappelling along side the counterweights and outer tower.

Then had a delicious breakfast at Leo's. Next day had lunch at the east end and watched the largest

private yacht I've ever seen pass through. Could only wonder who was on it. Ten minutes later a whale breaches

forty yards directly in front of me. Gotta appreciate this special place.

Been to Area 51 at three in the morning yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 min ago, heyblue34 said:

Been to Area 51 at three in the morning yet?

Best place ever. I grab a lawnchair and watch the show. Then the epo rolls up and you hear the air horn signal and someone yells everyone hide your fish

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I wonder if the EPO with the k-9 has the dog trained to find fish. I watched him walk the dog all around  Area51 early one morning. Clearly looking for something. It occurred to me later that day perhaps the dog was looking for hidden fish.

Edited by bob_G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, bob_G said:

I wonder if the EPO with the k-9 has the dog trained to find fish. I watched him walk the dog all around  Area51 early one morning. Clearly looking for something. It occurred to me later that day perhaps the dog was looking for hidden fish.

That whole place stinks of fish,poor dog thinking what am i supposed to do!:shrug:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, bob_G said:

I wonder if the EPO with the k-9 has the dog trained to find fish. I watched him walk the dog all around  Area51 early one morning. Clearly looking for something. It occurred to me later that day perhaps the dog was looking for hidden fish.

or hidden drugs. :squid:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Years ago i saw a school of bluefin blitzing on bluefish just inside the east end. We were catching blues when suddenly a dozen or so giants blew up right in front of us. It was a crazy sight. 

On two seperate occasions I saw a deer swim across the canal in full current, didnt seem too tired when they got out.

From sunfish to whales there is always something going on down there.

A couple new things ive seen down there at night the last few years are familys camping in tents on the access road, kegs parties and people grilling.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

One night I was fishing near the cribbin on a low tide where I could walk out onto a small rocky point and cast and in the pitch black I started to hear what was the telltale sounds on a whale swimming up current very close to shore eventually I saw it and it was coming right at me and even though I was in very shallow water I high tailed it back to shore where I watched it swim around the rocky point no more than 20 feet from where I was standing and continue on towards bb, super cool! 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, SaberTooth said:

Been there twice this week. Didn't catch a fish but didn't give that a second thought.

First, watched a gigantic petroleum tanker silently pass through. Later,

watched the train cross the railroad bridge and marveled as the bridge was lowered and raised.

Workers on the bridge were rappelling along side the counterweights and outer tower.

Then had a delicious breakfast at Leo's. Next day had lunch at the east end and watched the largest

private yacht I've ever seen pass through. Could only wonder who was on it. Ten minutes later a whale breaches

forty yards directly in front of me. Gotta appreciate this special place.

Biggest yatch I ever saw go thru was a couple of years ago. It was 315ft long, owned by some swiss banker. Had an annual maintenance cost of around 50 million a year. For someone who has been going there for 40 plus years it was one awesome yatch. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

Naked people, Naked people doing it. Almost naked people riding bikes and singing, drug and alcohol use, fist fights, guys passed out, larceny, poaching, vandalism, submarines, cruise ship hitting the RR bridge, sunken tugboat, teen jumping ice floes, deer, weasels, fishercats, coyotes, stray kitties, rats, drones, cubera snapper, sailfish, pole 20, MMA ship on fire, MMA marching band. lighting strikes, suicide jumpers, someone being arrested, A harley doing 50+ on the service road and a very cool local catching a 58 pounder....My 40+ years on the ditch!.......:)

Edited by robc22
spelling

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

All great stories above. This is a lot of why I love fishing the canal. You never know what you'll see. One thing for sure is that it's a place where people  tend to go to let go. Whether they're fishermen, women on bikes singing Whitney Houston at the top of their lungs or just a simple dog Walker. The canal let's a lot of people take a break from the grind.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, robc22 said:

Naked people, Naked people doing it. Almost naked people riding bikes and singing, drug and alcohol use, fist fights, guys passed out, larceny, poaching, vandalism, submarines, cruise ship hitting the RR bridge, sunken tugboat, teen jumping ice floes, deer, weasels, fishercats, coyotes, stray kitties, rats, drones, cubera snapper, sailfish, pole 20, MMA ship on fire, MMA marching band. lighting strikes, suicide jumpers, someone being arrested, A harley doing 50+ on the service road and a very cool local catching a 58 pounder....My 40+ years on the ditch!.......:)

Rob all accounts of things we often see along the canal over many years of fishing Memories from the past and the specific items of interest also must have included seeing Blue fin tuna breaching along with different species of huge sharks . The rebuilding of the East end bulkhead, The fishing Pier The adding on to the east end jetties in Sandwich . The removal of a long time stable of Joes Fish market The increased size of the Sandwich marina .  Watching the long time Freezer plant be taken down and a new building rebuilt in its location.

Seeing one of the original bait and tackle shops [BIFFs ] be relocated near the Christmas store. Being able to watch the herring at more then one Herring run inside the canal and huge cod and bass actually travel inside after them . Watching the schools of Silver Hake invade the canal every spring along with Cod and Mackerel One of the best sites is to watch a deer jump off the jetty from the Sandwich side and swim across to the other side, climb up onto the service road as folks were walking it and not miss a beat as it scampered up the rocks onto the road and run off into Scusset . The folks walking were so close that they could almost hold out there hand and pet them as they stood in wonderment about one of natures impressive feet by any animal . To actually watch some one hook a tuna on a rod and see the burst of force and hear him yell to get the gaff, only to have his reel lock up and smoke the reel and pop went the line. So many memories from over 75 years of fishing the big river we all call the Cape Cod Canal. So many changes,it is hard to keep them all in the memory bank , but nice that posts like this gets us all thinking again of not only the bad times but more so the good times Peace

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.