Sudsy

This is the fault of everyone that voted for Pallone - more replenishment this fall

Rate this topic

145 posts in this topic

2 hours ago, cartopper said:

I doubt there is a funded lobby group . . . but a coalition of fishing clubs united in protest several years back.  

The only way to attack it in my opinion is for those "concerned citizens" to form a non profit, raise some money and hire a lobbyist. I would imagine you would also need a viable alternate plan to beach replenishment which I think we all believe to be jetties.?

25 mins ago, wasy said:

The only way to attack it in my opinion is for those "concerned citizens" to form a non profit, raise some money and hire a lobbyist. I would imagine you would also need a viable alternate plan to beach replenishment which I think we all believe to be jetties.?

The problem is much bigger . . . this goes beyond sand dumping vs. jetties.  Real Estate development along our coast is accelerating at an alarming pace, even after Sandy.  The stakes are in the billions in terms of investments made in commercial and residential projects along the coast.  No small "concerned citizen" 501(c)(3) will be a financial match for the behemoth that supports coastal development and hence real estate conservation and protection.  The long term picture is of no issue to them as they are purely focused on a short-term money grab.  

This is truly a bi-partisan assault and both parties speak the same language of money . . . we all bitch and moan, myself included, and have to realize no one is going to hear our arguments against the lunacy of beach replenishment.

Senator Coburn wrote about this in 2009 and fell on deaf ears  http://coburn.library.okstate.edu/pdf/washed_out_to_sea.pdf

"Erosion" is only problem until we build something on it, deltas, flood zones, barrier islands.  It they were left as is it would  hardly ever be an issue. Just saying. Let 'em wash away. Probably more money saved in the long run and leave the beach do as it has been doing.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Channel 12 weather just mentioned that this latest storm will remove much sand from our beaches.......really !!!!  GLD&D Co. must be celebrating once again.

Edited by Mr. Bigdeal

Judging by the seagull in the picture those are Godzilla sized Mantis Shrimp.  . LOLOL..pretty sure that they are dead tree roots.

A major factor that has continued the building oh million $ plus homes on barrier islands is taxpayer subsidized flood insurance. Flood insurance was supposed to go up in these areas. Big$$ stopped the increase for homes built in flood prone areas. Big $$ knows how to make others pay for their projects. Dunes systems and beach replishment mainly protects homes closest to beach. Bay floods homes further back.

NJ share of Shore Protection which is matching funding for federal funds comes from the Reality Transfer Tax. You sell your house in NJ you are taxed. Those funds are used for shore protection. So you sell your house Hamilton or cherry Hill or Phillipspurg you help the guy who looks out his window at Atlantic Ocean.

I just got back from DC and spent some time in the Natural History Museum. I think it's funny that the national museum recognizes this is an issue but the fed continues to fund this crap. 

IMG_20191108_113732.jpg

IMG_20191108_113809.jpg

IMG_20191108_113822.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Was there really a time when there was surf clams and what not regularly on the beach? Can someone tell me how exactly beach replenishment affects my fishing? I get the beach itself flattens out but I am not Bob the garbage man, I'm not dumping chunks into the mouths of beached bass LOL, I'm casting into the ocean. I'm guessing here it's more about the act of dredging that messes things up. Plenty of boaters hate dredging when it messes up their fishing but begs Uncle Sam to dredge out the bay so they can take they boat out.

I also don't think it's fair to get upset at those who live waterfront. If I had the money I'd do it. Tourists from in state and out of state visit the shore each year and bring in billions of dollars, so you can expect beach replenishment to always continue. I would hope so too, I'd hate to lose the coast line. If you think flood insurance is cheap too then you must not have priced it out recently either. A 200k house 100 yards from a creek was going to run me $5500 a year. I pay $2000 a year being 8 blocks from a river. These people definitely pay into the system.

Edited by hurricane1091

Is the increase in tourism dollars on a replenished beach really greater than the cost of the beach replenishment?

I wouldnt believe it is. There isnt an increase in places to park. Only more and more restricted places.