Sudsy

This is the fault of everyone that voted for Pallone - more replenishment this fall

Rate this topic

145 posts in this topic

Where are the environmentalists that are supposed to be part of Murphy's state government ??

Not a peep as an entire ecosystem is massacred over and over again
Bunch of hypocrites !!

Beach replenishment: Long Branch to Sea Bright beaches will grow this fall
Dan Radel, Asbury Park PressPublished 5:00 a.m. ET Sept. 18, 2019 | Updated 3:55 p.m. ET Sept. 18, 2019

A $128.82 million project looks to reinforce beachfronts and dunes damaged in Superstorm Sandy on Ocean County's northern barrier island. Thomas P. Costello and Tariq Zehawi, USA Today Network New Jersey

LONG BRANCH - This fall the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers will start delivery of 1.3 million cubic yards of sand to the northern Monmouth County coastline.

The $26.3 million beach replenishment project will fill erosion hot spots in the towns of Long Branch, Monmouth Beach and Sea Bright, Jason Shea, Army Corps project manager told the Press.

The federal government will pick up about $17 million of the cost. The remaining $9.3 million will be split by the state of New Jersey and Long Branch, with the former paying the lion's share of 75 percent of the cost.   

The borrow site is a sand ridge five miles off the coast of Sea Bright. The Army Corps has been using the borrow site since the original beach replenishment project in 1994, Shea said.

This wave of beach fill is part of a renourishing cycle established with the original project, which covered 18 miles of coast from Manasquan to Sea Bright, excluding Elberon, Deal, Allenhurst, and Loch Arbour. It was completed in 2001. 

The project included periodic nourishment of the restored beaches on a 6-year cycle for a period of 50 years.

However, after superstorm Sandy, the Army Corps replenished the coast to build back the beach to the 1994 design, this time with Elberon, Deal, Allenhurst and Loch Arbour. That project was completed in 2014 and was fully funded by federal dollars.

Weeks Marine, headquartered in Cranford, was awarded the Sea Bright to Long Branch contract after a public bid period, Shea said.  

Funny how they use the term “nourishment”. I guess “dumping a bunch of gravelly crap that will wash away “ didn’t sound so good.  A holes. 

Sudsy is right, vote them out. Bunch of liars with their own agendas.  Pallone also let Ft. Monmouth close, lost 15,000 + jobs, he is not in it for the people, he is a professional politician with a big ego and lives in a glass house whilst making sure the well to do are accommodated.

Beach replenishment is another joke, it doesn't work, just tax dollars being spent and although it does put folks to work. the number of jobs is surprisingly low, just a few on each site. 

The residents are fooled into thinking beach replenishment actually works, thats how folks like Pallone get lifetime positions, he lies and they believe him. 

Bad news. Ultimately yes the voters are responsible but that is too simple. Seems more like a systematic problem. Everything has been bought and sold and compromised...most important of all the spread of information. The system as it is depends on lollipops and low information voters to continue to perpetuate the scam. Now for the hard part..how to fix it? System needs an overhaul.

12 mins ago, adams54 said:

Bad news. Ultimately yes the voters are responsible but that is too simple. Seems more like a systematic problem. Everything has been bought and sold and compromised...most important of all the spread of information. The system as it is depends on lollipops and low information voters to continue to perpetuate the scam. Now for the hard part..how to fix it? System needs an overhaul.

You can't fix it . . . voting districts have been manipulated to create desired outcomes.  Decisions are no longer made based on long-term viability, but for short-term greed.  NJ is a crap hole and only going to get worse.

Environmental protection regulations are applied and/or enforced on a "who you know" basis.  We've got the best government money can buy.  As usual, follow the money.  Smarmy politicians and malfeasance, a traditional N.J. combination. Just another money funnel.

The replenishments  have smothered all the critical environments with a sandbar, a vast underwater wasteland. 

Soon we will be like the Delaware beaches.  Catch you some spot!

Posted (edited) · Report post

When the ACOE gets involved, you know it's going to be a wasteful **** show. So many ecosystems destroyed by those morons imposing, at best, short term solutions.

Edited by C.Robin

I"m in agreement and sympathetic about the cause however, it's a battle that cannot be won.

The fact is that Ocean and Monmouth county are financially dependent on tourism and if you have no beach you have no tourism. While I would be happy with that the money grubbing politicians are not.

On 9/18/2019 at 9:11 PM, Sudsy said:

1. The $26.3 million beach replenishment project will fill erosion hot spots in the towns of Long Branch, Monmouth Beach and Sea Bright,

2. This wave of beach fill is part of a renourishing cycle.......The project included periodic nourishment of the restored beaches on a 6-year cycle for a period of 50 years.

3. Weeks Marine, headquartered in Cranford, was awarded the Sea Bright to Long Branch contract after a public bid period, Shea said.  

1. If it is an "erosion hotspot", why do they keep spending unholy amounts of money to keep pumping in sand that will only wash away again? Why don't they instead construct permanent structures like jetties? Well, we know the answer, NJ has given Weeks Marine an annuity. It is often said that the definition of insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result. Beach replenishment is the embodiment of insanity.

2. Living things need nourishment but a beach is not a living thing and does not need "nourishment". That terms makes my blood boil as it has become the politically-correct term for beach replenishment, AKA habitat destruction. My Grandfather and I used to bucktail the Cape May Point jetties like madmen in the late 70's and early 80's. Me, the Mrs and the little guy went back 02/2017 and I stood on sand where flounder, weakies and blues had been hooked decades earlier. It was heartbreaking. They paved paradise and put up a parking lot.

3. Weeks Marine got the contract again. Surprise!

19 hours ago, wasy said:

I"m in agreement and sympathetic about the cause however, it's a battle that cannot be won.

The fact is that Ocean and Monmouth county are financially dependent on tourism and if you have no beach you have no tourism. While I would be happy with that the money grubbing politicians are not.

Monmouth Beach

Sea Bright

Elberon

Deal

Allenhurst

Loch Arbor

That's nearly half of Monmouth - and every one of those towns not only do not need tourism, but they do their best to keep us OFF their beaches

Same goes for all the beaches south of Point pleasant from Bayhead all the way down to Lavalette

I'm pissed these towns are literally stealing our my/your/everyone's money then getting caught on video saying they want to keep the "rats" (us) off their beaches (remember the video on news 12 of the lady in Mantaloking?) 

Hey @Sudsy  so I get that about half of monmouth is getting buried just when things were starting to recover. My question is how far north and south of these towns do you think will be at least somewhat affected?  Or will the damage be limited to just these areas?