chrishogs

$200-$250 surf rod

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

14 hours ago, KironaFly said:

And by the way ... those rod & reel recommendations make for a great surf rod set up compared to anything I grew up with .... anything offered in the last 15 years or so (for the money - great bang for buck).

I actually was looking at the Penn Slammer iii 5500 model, anything else you guys would suggest in that price range?

Edited by chrishogs

1 hour ago, chrishogs said:

I actually was looking at the Penn Slammer iii 5500 model, anything else you guys would suggest in that price range?

What length & lure weight rod are you looking for? Mostly plugging? Surf casting distance?

Personally, after having both in hand ... I just like the new Spinfisher VI reels better then the  Slammers. But I'm a person who has a Van Staal VR 150 & Tsunami SaltX 6K on the high end with Daiwa BG reels on the low price point end. All are great reels and have their own unique virtues. Boiled down ... it's about price and performance.

8 mins ago, KironaFly said:

IWhat length & lure weight rod are you looking for? Mostly plugging? Surf casting distance?

Personally, after having both in hand ... I just like the new Spinfisher VI reels better then the  Slammers. But I'm a person who has a Van Staal VR 150 & Tsunami SaltX 6K on the high end with Daiwa BG reels on the low price point end. All are great reels and have their own unique virtues. Boiled down ... it's about price and performance.

Since I am new to this I am not 100% sure. I was thinking a 10 foot ODM DNA now that I have been looking at reviews. 

1 min ago, chrishogs said:

Since I am new to this I am not 100% sure. I was thinking a 10 foot ODM DNA now that I have been looking at reviews. 

Great rod. I have the 9 footer. So a Penn 5500 size reel is a good choice. I think the Spinfisher VI is lighter than the Slammer III, but not as waterproof. You should have a lot of  fun with such a set up. Good Luck!

1 min ago, KironaFly said:

Great rod. I have the 9 footer. So a Penn 5500 size reel is a good choice. I think the Spinfisher VI is lighter than the Slammer III, but not as waterproof. You should have a lot of  fun with such a set up. Good Luck!

Any other reel for that price point of $250-$300 you would recommend? 

15 hours ago, ghost said:

You are just starting out , so why don't you look on Craig's List. Buy something to get started and after fishing awhile you will be able to decide what you want and like in a setup, and the rod and reel you buy will act as a backup. 

This right here is great advice. 

Grab a combo, decide if you are in it for the long haul. 

Next year, get a pricey rig. 

Would hate to see your ODM and nice PENN on the BST in March. 

Edited by PlumFishing

IMO, particularly as you're just getting into it, why the specific 200-250$ on a surf rod? Daiwa Coastal Salt Pro for general use and/or Offshore Angler Ocean Master Surf (a steal of a rod) for anything heavier. Both have Fuji guides and reel seats, are under 200$, and will do everything you need.

7 hours ago, chrishogs said:

Any other reel for that price point of $250-$300 you would recommend? 

Yeah ... the Shimano Spheros gets a very detailed review on the Alan Hawk site, You'd want the 6K / 6000 version. But if you wanted a sealed reel unit that would "shwing" on a ODM DNA ... I'd hold out for a Tsunami SaltX 6000 reel in black ($375) vs. Slammer III 5500 ($270). 

You'd have a black beauty for rocking 2 ounce plugs into the Striper Surf ... either way surf fishing dream gear.

7 hours ago, PlumFishing said:

This right here is great advice. 

Grab a combo, decide if you are in it for the long haul. 

Next year, get a pricey rig. 

Would hate to see your ODM and nice PENN on the BST in March. 

Full disclosure, I have a ODM Genesis 11’ w/Saragossa 8k and a TFO 10’6” with BG 5k as primary rigs for jigs/plugs. 

Both work quite well. 

4 hours ago, lureman said:

Black-Hole, Suzuki rods, retail for $195-$210,,,,9.5, and 10ft.,,,,these rods have backbone, and like ALL BH Rods, are strong ,,very..

25 lb bass and 16 lb blues in the spring on this rod.  

19 hours ago, bayyaker54 said:

25 lb bass and 16 lb blues in the spring on this rod.  

these BH Suzuki rods, were made for Albies, and schoolie Stripers, but these rods, have caught , much larger fish, and the retail price, very, very, reasonable....

I went overboard, but ended up ordering an ODM DNA 10 footer to be paired with a Tsunami SaltX 6000 in black, should have the SaltX by the 15th. Will spool it up with 40lb power pro super slick V2 that I have laying around.