chrishogs

$200-$250 surf rod

Rate this topic

42 posts in this topic

Hello - I am look for a $200-$250 surf rod to pair with a Penn Battle III 5500. I haven’t bought the reel yet, but that is what I plan to purchase so if any of you think I should purchase something different I am open to hearing that as well. But looking for a rod in that price range for surf casting. I already have an in-shore mojo st Croix MH 7 footer with a 4000 series Daiwa ballistic that I use for saltwater as well. I live in Babylon and will be fishing the south shore and making a few trips to Montauk. Thanks for your view and suggestion. Tight lines! 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Tsunami airwave elite 1062mh is what I'd personally go for with that budget. Will be good for all ocean beaches, and can serve lighter montauk duties.

Edited by C.Robin

I highly recommend you go with an Airwave Elite and use the extra $$ to get a Spinfisher SSVI instead of the Battle II. Specifically, I'd say go with the 1102M and the 6500BLS. That combo will serve you well on the open beaches and will handle Montauk as well.

$240 on The Surfcaster gets you an older gen Avid 10 footer. I've had mine for a couple weeks and my biggest fish on it was a 24" bass so I can only say my first impressions are very good.

Given the Budget constraints I agree with the above (because I still have them after various tries & buys) Tsunami Airwave Elite / ODM DNA recommendations ... and would add that a Penn Spinfisher VI or Daiwa BG reel would be a better match to those recommended rods.

Not sure what size rod you want ... that kinda guides the reel selection (in my way of thinking).

And by the way ... those rod & reel recommendations make for a great surf rod set up compared to anything I grew up with .... anything offered in the last 15 years or so (for the money - great bang for buck).

13 hours ago, chrishogs said:

Hello - I am look for a $200-$250 surf rod to pair with a Penn Battle III 5500. I haven’t bought the reel yet, but that is what I plan to purchase so if any of you think I should purchase something different I am open to hearing that as well. But looking for a rod in that price range for surf casting. I already have an in-shore mojo st Croix MH 7 footer with a 4000 series Daiwa ballistic that I use for saltwater as well. I live in Babylon and will be fishing the south shore and making a few trips to Montauk. Thanks for your view and suggestion. Tight lines! 

Recommend ODM DNA as well. Captree B & T is close to you and has them in stock last time I was there.

I'll throw my hat in the Airwave Elite convo; I have three of them and they're great rods. Love my St. Croix Avid as well (old gen) but it's an 11' monster for the CCC. 

The 10'6 Airwave Elite has been my go-to rod and has fished NJ to Montauk many, many times without fail. I'll also agree on investing a bit more into a semi-sealed reel. The Spinfisher VI 5500 will do nicely on the 10'6, and although not fully sealed, is way better than the Battle.

You are just starting out , so why don't you look on Craig's List. Buy something to get started and after fishing awhile you will be able to decide what you want and like in a setup, and the rod and reel you buy will act as a backup. 

What length do you want that will help with responses? If looking for a 10'6" the Star Paraflex 3/4-4 is a nice rod for the money.  $200 and the nice part it has a lifetime warranty.

I was choosing between this rod and the St Croix Mojo but the warranty on the Star won me over.  The Mojo had a 5 year.      

Been using a 9ft 1/2-2oz jigging world shadow surf. Very light. So far no issues. The model one step up oz rating wise is around the same $200 price and I would imagine just as well