wikinglars

Good Blue fish spots early season

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Hi Guys

Im from Denmark and going to Cape cod 30 may to 8 june 2020. Its my 3rd time in the best place in the world to fish. I have been 2 times in cape cod. 1 time in september and 1 time in June. Both times we caught a lot of beautiful stripers. In september i even caught a albacore from the coast(strongest fish pound for pound i ever caught). September there was so many stripers but we had to fish a lot in the dark hours, which is not my favorite thing in the world. Next time we were there in june. Absolutely loved it. Big stripers on the flats and in low water. Sight fishing after big fish.Saw the biggest fish ever of the coast plus 30 pounds at least probably bigger. wow fantastic. Caught a lot of stripers including 6 keepers. so nice week. I lost a very big blue fish(Yes had wire leader on)and fell in love with this northern permit like fish. I have a plea to my fellow fisherman across the atlantic. This time i will spend a lot of time hunting blue fish. Can u share a few good spots with me. I will be very grateful if u will be so generous to point me in the right direction. WE fish pretty  much all over the cape. yours sincerely Lars the viking(smiley)

Read "On The Water" Mass edition they'll give advise, locations and what works. Cotuit on the Cape early spot but these fish are temperature oriented and may not show at all. Make sure you stay in tune with the bass fishing so you'll have some action. You're coming so far for a "maybe they'll be around" you'll want to key in what's hot when you get there. Hope you hit em, big bad bluefish are my favorite in the spring.

Lars

Its no big secret that Blue fish arrive first on the South side. Saltyh2ofly has mentioned one area but finding somewhere to park is a total nightmare in that locality. Late May early June past few years has seen very few Blues. They were so common before that. I stopped looking for them to be honest.

But in 2020 they may show up once again. Fish for the Bass and hope for a Blue to turn up in the mix.

mike

I've never thought of bluefish as a northern permit, and I'll admit I don't really see the comparison, but it doesn't matter - I also love chasing them with a fly.

My best advice is to look for warmer water.  I saw some blues on the vineyard in early June this year - anyone's guess if they'll be back, but if they are, they'll be in the warmer water.

On 9/19/2019 at 9:00 AM, JCH said:

I've never thought of bluefish as a northern permit, and I'll admit I don't really see the comparison, but it doesn't matter - I also love chasing them with a fly.

My best advice is to look for warmer water.  I saw some blues on the vineyard in early June this year - anyone's guess if they'll be back, but if they are, they'll be in the warmer water.

I thought that was an odd comparison too.  Maybe more like a barracuda haha.  A permit comp would be carp if you go fresh water, very spooky fish.

Hi guys

Thx so much for yr replies. I really appreciate it. The south west coast it is. For this mysterious fish. The blue fish. I know the comparison seems strange to u. But to me it makes sense. The permit i encountered in Belize and Cuba and it was so mysterious and i even lost one on fly. It was the tails and fins out of the water that got my blood pumping. The same with Blue the fish that got away, only seeing them with the tails fins out of the water. It got me strait back to the feeling of hunting Permit. So a very subjective comparison. Hi HI. But both strong as cargo trains, but for the fight the blue was out of the water shaking its head. The permit just keep going. Both lost. I have caught so many nice beautiful and big fish on the fly. Why is it? its the ones that got away that we "almost" remember the best.

IMG_6806.jpg

DSC_0529.JPG

3886_2bvfjl9tueth6uijvbjge47d6.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi Again

Went out fishing today, the searun brown trout are slowly but surely changing into their spawning suit, so now starting to look like brown trout living permanently in the rivers. They are now migrating towards the river, they were born in to spawn. They usually spawn in november. Then they go back to the sea to eat. They get more and more difficult to catch the closer we get to the time were they go up into the river. Today i was very lucky, caught 5 fish lost 3, and had many hits. All between 17 and 20 inches, all caught in knee low water. Great day in the baltic sea, in a little inlet/ fjord kind of sea here in denmark. Have a great day. Everyday i look forward to coming back to cape cod. 8 months to go. too long. 

Lars

IMG_0920.jpg

IMG_0921.jpg

IMG_0923.JPG

Edited by wikinglars