Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 19 - Sept 26

Rate this topic

116 posts in this topic

54 mins ago, rwilhelm said:

Was it weedy?  Last few times I hit Gansett too much weeds.   

The weeds lately have only been a result of NE-E winds sustained for a duration of a couple days or more in the previous week or two..It has cleared for the most part at least from the water I've been fishing in SoCo. Usually if you have more than a day or two days straight NE-E winds 99% of east facing SoCo frontage is weeded up but its a catch .22; due to the bait presence that can be right at the waters edge, so things like single in-line hooks and bucktails / jigging start to be the only things you'll be effectively fishing on those days. 

4 mins ago, SouthCoastSurfFishermen said:

The weeds lately have only been a result of NE-E winds sustained for a duration of a couple days or more in the previous week or two..It has cleared for the most part at least from the water I've been fishing in SoCo. Usually if you have more than a day or two days straight NE-E winds 99% of east facing SoCo frontage is weeded up but its a catch .22; due to the bait presence that can be right at the waters edge, so things like single in-line hooks and bucktails / jigging start to be the only things you'll be effectively fishing on those days. 

Thanks! 

Here's a thought about weeds. Maybe this makes a little sense to some.

I laugh when some say, " the draggers are responsible for this?"

That might be true in a minor sense, but the problem covers too much area and too many weeds for a few boats to do that severe of damage.

The other is stronger winds, high surf. That's what brings it up and moves it toward shore.

The real reason might lie on your lawn. See the leaves?

It's a change of season, leaves die, plants die, weeds die.

The same changes happen underwater when the water temperature drops. Plant life starts dying, breaks loose much easier from the bottom. It's that time of year when most plants die or go stagnant.

Edited by Capt.Castafly

I think Dorien drove the surf up into sheltered east facing coves and beaches and pounded the grass beds that are usually in the lee of the weather. Even in the bay and salt ponds, it was coming onto shores normally calm.

It scooped out live grass beds and flooded shores where old accumulated weed built up.

Then it drove all that stuff to the west where it never had a chance to settle before strong SW drove it all back into SoCo.

11 hours ago, rolm said:

Took my son out fishing at a "popular south county location" last night at dusk through the end of the incoming to the start of the drop.  Mostly calm conditions, but every few minutes there would be a set of 3-4' breakers. 

Continuous small bass and blues.  Couldn't see what they were on, but in nights past they were hitting primarily small-profile plastics but now they were happily taking full-size surface plugs. 

We left with the fish still biting when the lag tide turned.  Can't keep the kid out too late... yet.

A little blonde boy with camo waders on?

1 hour ago, Backroads said:

I noticed how well he was doing! He's better than many I've seen on those rocks! 

Yeah, I'm only half-joking when I say he's better than me.  Next I have to get him spikes before he kills himself out on the rocks.  I think I remember having no fear like that.

Edited by rolm