Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 19 - Sept 26

Rate this topic

116 posts in this topic

Waiting to hear more reports from this morning (for what they're worth) but sounds like I might fish the bay tomorrow. 35 minute ride with the trailer to one ramp vs the over an hour ride to point jude doesn't hurt either. 

Three boat trips in a row, no albie sightings.

No baitfish, no albies. I really thinks the hardtail fishing is done for the season right now.

My take, they invade each new season in a big wave everywhere. Local hot spots like Watch Hill never seen them.

Another like Newport, very few and that's one of the early seasons staging locations. Once the bait leaves, I believe they are done, will not return. Time will tell.

We did bang three schoolies right in the surf from Quonnie to Weekapaug, East Beach area. The 4 x 4 guys were right on close to shore. Small silversides were spraying in the air at times.  One friend went to Montauk from Pt. Jude. Total bust. No hardtails. A long haul for some rat blues. Newport was a bust to.

Still with this weather, great day to be out on the water. Can't complain about that.  

More of the same as the previous few reports. Fished soco this morning, a few schoolies right at first light in the wash and then the surf picked up and churned up the water. Sandy and weedy as the morning went on, saw one decent feed way out of surf range around 8, a handful of boats on them didn't last long. Waited for something to materialize on the incoming never happened, totally dead, left at 11

3 hours ago, Capt.Castafly said:

I'd have to disagree with you too.

Sakonnet is not Narragansett Bay.

It doesn't even connect with it. Mount Hope Bay.

Sorry, your right. I flunked Geography. I never considered Sakonnet River a "river". Its all Bay to me...

Tried 4th quarter heroics for fluke this morning.  One small fluke, nice surprise.  Even more surprising was a bonito crushing sand eel teaser.  Never targeted them, got cocky after about 5 min fight, and lost it feet from kayak. Wow they fight!  A few legal tautog for dinner, and a gazillion small bsb.  Lower bay

The bite on south side of Jamestown started to dry up on Wednesday.  Today it was totally dead, with way more weed.  However, there is still an ass-ton of bait around.  

Edited by Dreamland

Have landed keeper bass (30-34” range) in solitude the past few nights, bucktailing.  Pretty spooky fishing, as there was a nearby pack of coyotes howling away. Pretty neat. Fished into daylight hours today  and made a half hearted attempt at fishing for albies, and was reminded why I fish alone away from people at night....

Growl back usually works . You also have a 10 foot bitch stick in your hand . Yotes run when you swing it . All kidding a side yotes usually don't confront you but usually run away . The Red Fox At Weekapaug waits for fish he is cool as hell 

On ‎9‎/‎20‎/‎2019 at 2:44 PM, The Riddler said:

Sometimes the Crippled herring is the answer.  Dis you try skipping an epoxy across the water?  Sometimes they will cream a jumping minnow 

Riddler or Others?  I recently brought some 3/4 and 1/2 oz Cripple Herrings and gave them a quick try but didn't work for me that day but was wondering how folks worked them? A skip retrieve, or low and slow as fast speeds them seemed to make them spin?