Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Sept 19 - Sept 26

Rate this topic

116 posts in this topic

This fish report blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. This could benefit those you use the RI forum greatly.

The purpose is to blend together all reports into one portal, for easy access to and reporting to in one place. 

This is the second year trying this approach to this type of journal. Last year had great participation. 

Now it's up to you to post your success or skunks.   Either way let us know. It all helps us direct us to better fishing conditions. 

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel to have a successful fishing trip.   

It feels more like fall now, colder mornings, windy days. No more tee shirts and shorts.

It becomes a 50 / 50 day with the amount of bait and amounts of fish. They are there one day, gone the next, ever though conditions don't vary.

Who know the reason. It has me baffled?

Keep those reports coming, good or bad. We'd like to hear. 

Found everything this morning in one weird blitz on peanuts. Bass with blues and albies in the mix. Barked at a guy trying to muscle my buddy's spot at the beach in Western SoCo. It was deliberate so had to educate him. 

Hit a spot out front and it was dead, tough crosswind, managed a few schoolies in various pockets.  Tried a backwater spot and walked into TONS of bait, and from observing the bait and clear V wakes in small groups getting pushed up to the shore im assuming it was Mullet.  This is a spot that used to get mullet but i havent seen it in a few years.  Bass were smashing them left and right.  Fish were really picky and would only hit top water swimmers that also made a V wake, there was so much bait they didnt need to be overly aggressive.  Had fish blasting a surfster but would only hook 1/3 hits.  Landed a few large schoolies and lost a larger fish.  Once the moon was overhead and bright the fish wouldnt touch anything and even stopped smashing the bait.  I will be back to this area in one of the next few dark nights, and more prepared to match the hatch.

30 mins ago, Kooky said:

Hit a spot out front and it was dead, tough crosswind, managed a few schoolies in various pockets.  Tried a backwater spot and walked into TONS of bait, and from observing the bait and clear V wakes in small groups getting pushed up to the shore im assuming it was Mullet.  This is a spot that used to get mullet but i havent seen it in a few years.  Bass were smashing them left and right.  Fish were really picky and would only hit top water swimmers that also made a V wake, there was so much bait they didnt need to be overly aggressive.  Had fish blasting a surfster but would only hook 1/3 hits.  Landed a few large schoolies and lost a larger fish.  Once the moon was overhead and bright the fish wouldnt touch anything and even stopped smashing the bait.  I will be back to this area in one of the next few dark nights, and more prepared to match the hatch.

Kooky gives the best reports 

1 hour ago, Kooky said:

i was just gonna ask if anyone has seen mullet....

1 min ago, quack said:

i was just gonna ask if anyone has seen mullet....

This was not a south shore location either which hopefully means they are filling in. 

38 mins ago, Tedd1185 said:

Kooky gives the best reports 

Thanks, trying to promote sharing info and reports without giving any location information.

The albies had lock jaw today. Only one during the early morning hours.

Started good with two nice schoolies near sun up. That's when we got our only albie to chew.

Anything north of Pt. Jude was a bust today with the stiffer winds, just to difficult to fly cast.

Every place else was acceptable. Near noon the wind had died down and the temp reached 65 more sightings.

Big difference starting the morning at 46 degrees. I've had several guides phone me today. Not a sign of hardtails around Westerly, Watch Hill. Nada!  We had lots of sighting, most of the time unapproachable. The bluefish we caught had tiny silverside the size of a half dollar.

There was no action close to shore at all. 

5 mins ago, HAMP7670 said:

Various pods of Albie's cruising between the Providence and seekonk rivers today ..lockjaw is a good way to describe it ...didn't see anyone hook up ...

Interesting i didnt think albies went that far up the bay. Good to know.

I was fishing them in that area today.  Good number of fish but not interested in any offerings.  Place was loaded with peanuts and the water was pretty clear for that area.

2 hours ago, HAMP7670 said:

Various pods of Albie's cruising between the Providence and seekonk rivers today ..lockjaw is a good way to describe it ...didn't see anyone hook up ...

Holy **** they are still up there? I was going to do Western CT bur screw it...better off launching the boat from ul in the rivers and pit some time in there.