Poulin

Florida insights

Rate this topic

26 posts in this topic

Hi all,

getting closer to retirement and thinking about places where to have good time in the next years. I’m thinking about Florida east coast.

Currently trying to figure out a place/region where there could be good fishing to be had and good time for the spouse and family as well.

As for fishing, I like simple things. I’m a DIY fly fishing type of guy. I can also switch to a spin rod if need is. One of the issues I see is it seems fishing is at it’s best right in the summer. Winter and spring would be the best period for me as too much heat can be tough to cope with.

Last year we visited Fort Lauderdale, I wasn’t really impressed by the fishing opportunities there seems to be there.

Any thoughts about a region I should consider ? Maybe Jupiter/Juno beach ? For sure snook and tarpon would be target of choice.

thanks very much

Do you want to fly fish the ocean beach or backcountry? On foot? 

And what do you consider to be fun for the family and friends? What community amenities do you need? 

Probably the best advice I can give you is to follow a plan like the one my wife and I undertook before settling in Vero Beach (from NY/NJ) on retirement.

Determine the area of Florida (SW -- i.e. Naples, Bonita Springs, Cape Coral;  SE -- Miami to West Palm; EC --West Palm to Melbourne) and visit them for at least a couple of days to get a feel for the area.

You seem to have settled on Florida East coast which is still a lot of ground to cover but hopefully you can narrow it down a bit.

We decided on East Central Florida so we started in Pam Beach and kept working our way north, spending 2-3 nights in many towns/cities (Palm Beach, Juno, Jupiter, Tequesta, Stuart, Vero) to determine what we liked and didn't like.

In our case, we did this over  a couple of years with a few trips (5 days) each year.

A few things that were important to us in addition to fishing opportunities: congestion, activities (i.e. theaters, museums, parks, libraries, gardens, beaches), health care services, proximity to airports, restaurants, bars and shopping.

Also, consider whether you want to live in a community setting (HOA with clubhouse, pool, organized activities (i.e. cards, book club, socials) versus private residence.

Real estate taxes weren't a big issue for us since we came from very high tax states.

Finally,  Tarpon and Snook are pretty abundant most of the year on almost the entire East Coast of Florida north to about Cape Canaveral.

The further north you go, the less abundant they become in cooler months.

I've caught snook every month of the year in Indian River and Brevard counties.

And, you have Redfish here (pretty much year round) plus many other species that will excite you.

Good luck.

Tomkaz,

Ocean, mainly by foot.

While I spend TIME fishing, spouse has to feel safe walking, biking on the street or the beach, and meeting trustful people.

Dennis,

That’s about my process which includes gathering infos here. 

Although for the time being am not contemplating to buy and stay full time but rent 1-2 months a year. On the other hand, even if I expect to rent, when we find a spot we like, we can go right there 10 years in a row. 

4 mins ago, Poulin said:

Dennis,

That’s about my process which includes gathering infos here. 

Although for the time being am not contemplating to buy and stay full time but rent 1-2 months a year. On the other hand, even if I expect to rent, when we find a spot we like, we can go right there 10 years in a row. 

So if the plan isn't to establish immediate residency in Florida upon retirement (which was my objective), rent in a different locale every year.

While we left the NY metro area we still have a beach house in the mid-atlantic to escape to in hottest months of year down here (July to September).

Since you like fly fishing you should also check out the Keys ---  doesn't get better than that for fly fishing.

We had a five year plan put together. Spent a lot of time traveling the whole eastern seaboard for weeks at a time looking for areas to move to. We’d start further south and work our way north towards home. 

Have a list of what you want the most to least. Stick with that list. Once we found the area we wanted to live we then went on to sell the home. 

Realize you are moving south and warmer climate. This alone changes your clothing and furniture choices. We sold half our stuff and still fell like we moved with 100% to much. Be prepared to get rid of, sell, or donate stuff once you’ve settled in. 

We choose to rent and still do. Renting gives you the opportunity to live the area and move the next year or two if it doesn’t work out. Visiting for a week or two is very different than 365. You see the full year of the area, traffic to weather. 

The biggest to do i can not express enough is rent first. Buying is easy in Florida, selling is more difficult. We moved here and one year later moved a 1/2 away. The irma storm had our home we rented become a island. If we had bought that place we would have kicked ourselves in the backside. 

We live in SWFL and yes it is very humid and hot during the summer. Your body will adjust, it took me a year and my wife two. You learn to move purposely slower and do things early or late in the day. I have never drank so much water as I do here. It’s a must. There are those days you will change your clothes three time before noon, doing yard work or vehicle repairs is tougher in the heat. We live in an area of sunshine ever day, you can not beat that. 

I hate to encourage people to live here, I love the relative solitude, don't want that to change! I’m 10 mins from The Sebastian Inlet, 5 mins walk to the Atlantic, and have the Indian river lagoon for when the surf is not good for fishing. Usually I’m up at 4:30-5, drink my coffee while making bucktails and hit the surf right before dawn. There are maybe 1 or 2 fishing the 2 mile stretch I wander up & down and many - most - days no one around till 9 or 10. Low tide I’m usually on my kayak in the lagoon.

I'm in a small community where everyone knows everyone. I brew beer and every 3-4 weeks have a neighborhood happy hour. Lots of local old salts I can talk to.

The only draw back is hurricanes! Oh and it gets freaking hot mid summer. But I go back to my home country, Scotland, in August for the green and relative cool.

stop by if you end up here, I make really decent beer and a lots of it, since folks around here are pretty good at drinking

Thanks Icarrussound ! 

It seems like you’ve made a good choice and you are happy.

Retired ? For how long have you been staying there ?

One last question, for a one week stay test, is there times of the year you highly would or would’nt recommand fishing wise ?

Sort of retired, the remnants of my past pop up periodically. I was a musician mostly and was persuaded to do a gig in Kiev last year - probably my last. When the money runs out I’ll be quasi retired I guess! I moved here 3 years ago.

Fishing is good here all year, but July and August tend to be slower. There are others here in this forum that have been here a lot longer and might give you better advice. The Mullet run of course is good - Octoberish. Also great weather and decent fishing from then till the end of the year+

if you like fishing Sebastian Inlet, which tends to be more populous than I like most of the time, you’ll catch big fish all year round. Big fish! A friend from across the pond visited last year the end of November and was out with me every day, he was blown away by the fishing. Hope that helps, I’m sure others nearby will chime in...

My wife and I bought a condo about 4 years ago in Deerfield Beach.

5 min drive to beach and we loved it so much, sold our home in Monmouth co last November to make it full time here.

Everything in life is relative!

A nice breeze almost daily makes the FL hot summers bearable.

Lots to do and fishing is great here.

i would not go any further south than here based on traffic and overcrowded conditions. Any further west equals zero breeze and those temperatures that people experience when they take the kids to Orlando in the summer.

Good luck!

Thanks MTL,

Wondering what do you mean by « fishing is great here », could you just explain a little bit ? What, when and how do you fish mainly ?

Is sounds interesting.

Thanks very much

I fish Boyton Inlet, Boca Inlet , off the beaches when swimmers aren’t present, Deerfield Beach pier, Pompano pier and Dania pier.

Rarely do I not catch something (snook, snapper, jacks )

Have plenty of party boats from Lantana to Ft Lauderdale which run 4 hr trips and almost always catch something to bring home.

Same if you go north up the coast... 

Basically going North, Deerfield, Boca, Delray, Boynton, Lake Worth, West Palm, Palme Beach Gardens, Juno Beach, Jupiter, Tequesta, Jupiter Island, Jensen Beach, Stuart. Gets much calmer north of Jupiter.  Boca & south is crazy full of people.

While you don't want to go too far West (farther to drive to beach + hotter) you have to be careful not to be too close to the inter-coastal or the coast due to insurance costs as well as home prices. Unless of course you are in the top 10% (;-).