FishermanTim

Took the plunge last night....literally!

Rate this topic

48 posts in this topic

Fished the low tide, east end last night.

Light NE winds, waning moon rising around 9 ish.

 

Strange night as there was almost no discernible current for most of the mainland side of the canal.

Current actually felt like it was pushing west when it should be heading east.

 

Caught one short, then I noticed that the water was really murky, cloudy to the point where I could barely see my feet in waist deep water close to shore.

Around 10 I decided to call it a night as the fish just were not there.

Headed back the way I came, rod in one hand, flashlight in the other and tackle bag over right shoulder (side I held the light on).

 

I was surprised that the water was as murky as it was, and wasn't too surprised when I "found" an algae-covered rock to slip on.

Tried to regain my footing, as the slip was a slow-motion kind of action, but as I tried to move the slipping foot back over the rock it caught on the rock (not a big rock, just sticking up enough) and I fell over away from the jetty.

I knew the water wasn't real deep, but I still took a dunk. The only damage was to my cheap headlamp,flashlight and my dignity. Oh well, just another lesson learned!

I will call it my "Cape Cod Canal Baptism".

 

Maybe now I will start catching some bigger fish?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tell us WHY are you wading in the Cape Cod Canal, probably the most dangerous water way on the striper coast, especially at night????????????? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

I was on a relatively flat section of rocks at the canal on Monday afternoon/evening but while moving around slippery rocks I managed to fall. Fortunately I braced the main blow of the fall with my empty, left hand but my momentum made me twist to my right, which forced me to then land on my right hand, which was holding my rod.

 

And this happened.

 

20190916_155725.jpg.1c7260a41a31a280f0fa02552140427b.jpg

Edited by zak-striper

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Tim....Never be afraid to crawl up that rip rap on ur hands and knees if you have too!.......

 

Ah......That's a bummer zak........:(

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
26 mins ago, robc22 said:

Tim....Never be afraid to crawl up that rip rap on ur hands and knees if you have too!.......

 

Ah......That's a bummer zak........:(

Words of wisdom and what is that rod that bent like that . Give me a lami every time never ever did I see one break or bend when using it as a staff to prevent myself from falling Glass.not graphite

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
15 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Words of wisdom and what is that rod that bent like that . Give me a lami every time never ever did I see one break or bend when using it as a staff to prevent myself from falling Glass.not graphite

the rod partly landed on a rock while I was holding it thus creating a nice breaking point from my body weight. it didn't break while being used as a staff.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, b-ware said:

Tell us WHY are you wading in the Cape Cod Canal, probably the most dangerous water way on the striper coast, especially at night????????????? 

 

I'm guessing he was near a certain well known "Rip" where the bottom is mostly sandy. A little sheltered from the current too. Not the most dangerous of spots.

 

I went over 10 years staying "dry", then fell in twice the same month. Once a rock shifted on steep riprap and I ended up face down in the water. The other I was setting the hook from not the best platform. Hook pulled and I was going over backwards. Managed to push off one leg so I landed in the water instead of the rocks.

 

That was 4 years ago. Haven't fallen in again since.  :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Posted (edited) · Report post

34 mins ago, Angler #1 said:

Words of wisdom and what is that rod that bent like that . Give me a lami every time never ever did I see one break or bend when using it as a staff to prevent myself from falling Glass.not graphite

Read again, he wasn't using it as a wading staff, nor to herd sheep. He fell on it. Fiberglass. :thdwn:

Edited by bob_G

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 mins ago, Eagles Dare said:

 

I'm guessing he was near a certain well known "Rip" where the bottom is mostly sandy. A little sheltered from the current too. Not the most dangerous of spots.

 

I went over 10 years staying "dry", then fell in twice the same month. Once a rock shifted on steep riprap and I ended up face down in the water. The other I was setting the hook from not the best platform. Hook pulled and I was going over backwards. Managed to push off one leg so I landed in the water instead of the rocks.

 

That was 4 years ago. Haven't fallen in again since.  :laugh:

Worst fall I have had was slipping on the wet grass, trip to Toby, cracked 1 and bruised 2 ribs...………………..

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
33 mins ago, bob_G said:

Read again, he wasn't using it as a wading staff, nor to herd sheep. He fell on it. Fiberglass. :thdwn:

But all "shepards" have a staff to protect and guide the flock...……………...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, b-ware said:

Tell us WHY are you wading in the Cape Cod Canal, probably the most dangerous water way on the striper coast, especially at night????????????? 

As mention earlier, I was at the east end, mainland side.

Wading in (close to) waist deep water over sand.

Unfortunately there are large rocks buried in that sand, and only a small portion is exposed.

The exposed section, because it is submerged 90% of the time, can/will have algae or seaweed growing on them.

I've fished this way for over 20 years. The only difference was that I COULDN'T see the bottom clearly, so I felt the rock underfoot rather than saw it.

Fishing FROM the rocky shore/jetty is another thing altogether!!!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 mins ago, b-ware said:

And King Neptune keeps order in the school with his trust trident...…………….

Bernie, don't keep baiting me buddy. I'm really biting my tongue. :laugh:

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to register here in order to participate.

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!


Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.


Sign In Now

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.