Goldy

Lead pouring advice

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Looking for a good lead pot to pour for my jigs.  Mainly pour from 1/2 all the way up to 3oz.  

Currently have access to do-it mold hot pot but wanted to see what other options are out there that people use

I've used a lee 20lb pot for the last year. Does everything I need it to. Have a 10lb lee also, don't use it much because the ingots we get now wont drop inside. Use clean lead and keep the spout clean and you can pour as fast as you can get hooks in the mold.

1 min ago, Goldy said:

Can the 10lber pour my doit molds to 3oz.  I thought i saw on the website it is best for 1/2oz jigs

I poured anything from 1/8 up to 3oz without a problem. Once the lead is ready to go, I either keep it on 5 or 5.5 for working

I'm a plumber and just use a 3" cast iron ladle and torch.  Re-heat with torch in between pours. I can get 4 pours on one ladle then needs to be hit again with torch.

436AB8A6-14BE-4D49-A581-BE7D95B27BAC.png

You should be fine with the Do It Mold Hot Pot. Just keep the lead hot, and the mold hot. I can pour up to 20 oz easily using the hot pot. But I do have to keep feeding it. For the smaller stuff I use the Lee Production Pot.

Works fine for me up to 6oz. I also use the Production pot to melt tin for smaller jigs and lures.

30 mins ago, The TideRunner said:

You should be fine with the Do It Mold Hot Pot. Just keep the lead hot, and the mold hot. I can pour up to 20 oz easily using the hot pot. But I do have to keep feeding it. For the smaller stuff I use the Lee Production Pot.

Works fine for me up to 6oz. I also use the Production pot to melt tin for smaller jigs and lures.

For 20$ more i think production pot IV sounds like the better move.   

27 mins ago, Goldy said:

Depending on  what your making, I find the Production pot a lot easier to use. Hot pot when full weighs around 5-6lbs and gets kind of awkward to use.

3 hours ago, Goldy said:

I’ve been using this pot for the past 10 years or so. Pour everything from 1/2 oz jugs up to 8 oz sinkers. Good pot & very easy to use. Just make sure you’re wearing protective gear (long sleeves, gloves, eye protection, respirator, etc)

31 mins ago, Sudsy said:

Whichever you choose go with a dipper

Bottom pour pots are a PIA !!

Damn you suds. I was almost set.  Which one u like

The biggest one you can afford

Constantly feeding lead into a little pot then waiting for it to get back up to temp sucks

I have a bottom pour and a very small pot and I hate them both

Used to have a big yellow commercial pot but it was in J&J's Tackles warehouse when they got it locked up for lack of payment. Miss that pot

We lived in a townhouse then and it was a handy place to pour - little did I know :mad:

Posted (edited) · Report post

31 mins ago, Sudsy said:

The biggest one you can afford

Constantly feeding lead into a little pot then waiting for it to get back up to temp sucks

I don’t have this issue with the PP 4 & I’ve poured a few dozen jigs at a time. The pot holds 10# of lead which is a pretty good amount. I’d say unless you’re pouring large quantities, the PP 4 will do the job.

I should also mention that you need to keep the nozzle clean or else you’ll get a constant drip of lead which can be annoying. For this reason I keep a metal can under the pot between pours. 

Edited by vinnyb