cityevader

lure packaging

Rate this topic

29 posts in this topic

Do y'all just memorize each one like baseball cards as when kids? 

Have you ever regretting tossing the package? 

After discarding my recent-random-lure-purchase's packages, i couldn't tell which was what. 

How many folks keep the package their lure came with? 

It could be handy later for a variety of reasons, but it also seems very unreasonable to store them together. 

Or is this a silly newbie thought, that becomes laughable later on whilst looking at tubs and tubs of lures that are quickly determined by glance and feel? 

Most lures you'll know what they are by looking at them, as well as the weight. 

It's harder with hand made wooden lures because some don't say the manufacturer so I write the weight on the tail end with a sharpie.

I pick only a few lures when I go fishing and match their weight to the rods I'm using. That eliminates the guesswork while fishing. 

I toss the packaging as I store lures by type and weight in larger plastic lure boxes.  One thing I do when I get it out of the package is to weight it and mark the weight on the lure with a marker.  That way I can make sure it gets back into the right box after fishing.

Toss the packaging and remember what you bought. Some lures are copycats of others so they can get confusing, some are very distinct. Many lures have the manufacturer etched on somewhere on the plug.

I have a lot of lures, collected over many years and many were acquired used, so no package to enable identification. I tend to keep them by type in boxes, but even that is not always ideal, as some that may look the same will be made to float & some will sink, and unless that's indicated on the lure, they end up mixed anyway.  

When I buy new lures, I usually buy at least 3, and that way can match a used lure to those still in packaging if I have them. Some lures, that have been better producers, when I get down to the last lure, I buy more. Unfortunately, that assumes I have the funds at the time to do so, and may not.

I used to try to tape any label that came on the package in the boxes with the lures, but even that's not a perfect solution, as in time they get beat up & difficult to read. I had thought about getting one of those laminate machines to laminate the labels, but never did it. 

Now, I really don't worry about it. Those lures that I use most are easily identified at least by brand, but I'm getting to where I can't remember many things anyway so, it don't matter! :laugh:

Excel spreadsheet by type: Brand, model, color, weight, length, what ya paid, floats/sinks/plastic/wood, etc.  Organized in Plano's by box number.  Helps a lot if you do business in the SOL BST, or elsewhere, or if you're just anal retentive. 

Not to hijack the thread but what is the easiest way you've guys found to remove the rubber/plastic hook protector from brand new lures? I always end up wrestling with a pair of needlenose pliers until I give up and grab an exacto knife. 

You guys need to fish a few more years.  After a while, you know what you have and don't need boxes and wrappers.  Just go throw/cast them into the ocean and use them what they are intended for.  Geez, stop babying tackle.  Use it and enjoy it.

Rusty hooks, change them out. C'mon guys.  Man up.

i used to keep them in box if i wasn’t going to use it soon but then space became a problem so i just remember what everything looks like. I dont have any custom lures yet so i therefore i can identify mine pretty easy

spook, sp minnow, yozuri magdarter, cotton cor pencil

1 hour ago, Spigola said:

You guys need to fish a few more years.  After a while, you know what you have and don't need boxes and wrappers.  Just go throw/cast them into the ocean and use them what they are intended for.  Geez, stop babying tackle.  Use it and enjoy it.

Rusty hooks, change them out. C'mon guys.  Man up.

Some people are horders collectors.  They enjoy looking at things in their mint condition boxes. 

17 hours ago, cityevader said:

Do y'all just memorize each one like baseball cards as when kids? 

Have you ever regretting tossing the package? 

After discarding my recent-random-lure-purchase's packages, i couldn't tell which was what. 

How many folks keep the package their lure came with? 

It could be handy later for a variety of reasons, but it also seems very unreasonable to store them together. 

Or is this a silly newbie thought, that becomes laughable later on whilst looking at tubs and tubs of lures that are quickly determined by glance and feel? 

most ly most guys know what they are fishing with,name,model and weight are naturally occurring things most of us know.

HH