Pure Ice

Collective opinion on new rod

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

So I'm getting a new rod (bday present from the fam.) here in the next couple of days here and need some advice 

TSUNAMI AIRWAVE ELITE

1) 9'6" - 3/4 - 3oz 

2) 10'6" - 1 - 3-1/2oz

Or 

DIAWA COASTAL SALT PRO SURF 

3) 10' - 1 - 3oz

4) 10'6" - 1 - 3oz

Or 

Other options......

Mainly Fishing from SF to Monterey 

Chucking for Stripers

SP Minnows

Lucky Craft

Poppers

Buck tails 

Ect...

Matching with 

Penn Sargus 6000

lures currently 2-1/2oz - 3/4-1oz

Previous rod was a

Diawa Emblem 10' - 3 - 6oz 

Caught lots o fish but not right.

All opinions welcome and appreciated even if I'm way out of line. 

Thanks 

J Ice

I've read some previous opinions here previously but wanted a fresh start.

I only fish custom sticks because I snap every off the shelf surf rod I ever had so I can't give you any good feedback on the rods you mentioned ... sorry.

553287_4230335965635_1703572360_n.jpg

Edited by Double_D

Where are you located?  I have a coastal salt pro 10’6” med fast 1-4oz used once and a Tsunami airwave elite Med mod fast 1-4oz used a few times.  Both are great rods. Maybe if you’re nice you could test drive one or buy one. 

Edited by telecronista

You should probably post in the main forum.  I don't visit this forum as often.  I would say that the rods you mentioned won't cast a Lucky Craft Flash Minnow or Surf Pointer that well.

Decide if you want a Fast action or MF.  I prefer medium power fast action with minnow lures.  I would say that the most common rods used on west coast guys are Mojo, ODM, Phenix and Tsunami for the lure ratings you want.  I use a 3/8 to 2oz rated import rod that weighs 6oz for my LC lures. Most of the rods above weight around 15oz.  Searching for a light 3oz rated lure rod myself.

FWIW I just got a Tsunami Elite 9'6" (10oz) for bout $180 and paired it with a Penn 550ss (14oz) w PP Braid 30# - Snap casting sweet spot seems to be 1.5 to 2.25oz size lures - I was using 20lb flouro for a leader and lost two 1 - 1.5 oz lures from line being too thin and breaking so I went to 40# flouro leader and all is good. I also have a 7.5 foot Okuma Shadow stalker which I love but doesn't compare to casting distance/strength of the 9.5 - 

Edited by sltwtrbob

I got both of those,the Tsunami is lighter and I think more fragile...butt better,,,,

I catch a fair amount of Leopard sharks so I use a heavier rod ; also more inclined to use a rod that is rated for 2-3 oz.

I would be safer using the Daiwa because I care less about it.

On 9/19/2019 at 7:54 AM, telecronista said:

Where are you located?  I have a coastal salt pro 10’6” med fast 1-4oz used once and a Tsunami airwave elite Med mod fast 1-4oz used a few times.  Both are great rods. Maybe if you’re nice you could test drive one or buy one. 

do you still have these rods for sale ?

On 10/8/2019 at 11:32 PM, westcoastnewguy said:

do you still have these rods for sale ?

Yes, but you need more posts to buy anything here. Plus, I can’t PM you until you have posted more

On 10/13/2019 at 11:52 AM, telecronista said:

Yes, but you need more posts to buy anything here. Plus, I can’t PM you until you have posted more

how many more ?

can you give me a run down on why those rods don't agree with you ?