StriperReleaser

Ken Burns Country Music

Rate this topic

105 posts in this topic

My wife is recording all of them.  We watched most of part 1 and about half of part 2 -didn't catch any of 3 last night.  It's s-l-o-w but interesting -just like the baseball, civil war and jazz shows he did.  I'm thinking we'll probably watch them after the New Year rings in... -we and Jim Beam that is.  I'm getting a kick out of Haggard's take on things.

Edited by Jettyhound

I have the series set to record on my DVR.   The promo was pretty darn good.

I like old school Country, the stuff on today's Country radio doesn't interest me at all.   

I'd much rather spend time sifting through the 'net to find New Rock than listen to that drivel.    

13 hours ago, rocco said:

eff ken burns. who appointed him self-appointed expert historian on everything :mad: 

A very curmudgeonly thing to say, don't ya'think?:huh:

At least he's doing something worthy of historical exploration....guys/girls like him don't need to be appointed, they just do interesting stuff that appeals to themselves and to many others..

Let us know when you find someone else not self appointed doin' something more or just as interesting.

Just don't understand the "self-appointed" ref.:shrug:

2 mins ago, MarkG said:

A very curmudgeonly thing to say, don't ya'think?:huh:

At least he's doing something worthy of historical exploration....guys/girls like him don't need to be appointed, they just do interesting stuff that appeals to themselves and to many others..

Let us know when you find someone else not self appointed doin' something more or just as interesting.

Just don't understand the "self-appointed" ref.:shrug:

no. i don't like him.

54 mins ago, rocco said:

no. i don't like him.

i've got Rocco's back on this one. Burns is a bowl haircut wearing pillow biter that always  - without exception - attributes everything  as a credit to the black man. he could do an eleven part series on Venusians, and would say a thank a brother . i couldn't wait to see how he'd do that with country music. 

not one living player did an interview in his documentary on baseball, except Buck O'Neil from the negro leagues. how is that credible?

Burns will do a documentary on a subject you're personally well versed in one day,  and you'll get it.

ty fredneck :howdy:

he may be a great filmmaker, but he's not a great historian or documentarian. :thumbd:

you can't just pick and choose pieces of the story or perspectives and call it a great documentary. :dismay: 

9 mins ago, rocco said:

ty fredneck :howdy:

he may be a great filmmaker, but he's not a great historian or documentarian. :thumbd:

you can't just pick and choose pieces of the story or perspectives and call it a great documentary. :dismay: 

never said it was 'great'...nor am I a Burns fan.

I don't like or dislike like him personally

Did he ever call his own work Great, or was it other people?...'cause if HE did, then I would be on your side on this one.

Great peeps don't have to tell you they are all that...

1 hour ago, fredneck said:

i've got Rocco's back on this one. Burns is a bowl haircut wearing pillow biter that always  - without exception - attributes everything  as a credit to the black man. he could do an eleven part series on Venusians, and would say a thank a brother . i couldn't wait to see how he'd do that with country music. 

not one living player did an interview in his documentary on baseball, except Buck O'Neil from the negro leagues. how is that credible?

Burns will do a documentary on a subject you're personally well versed in one day,  and you'll get it.

In fact, he did...

the Jazz series, [in which I'm more than well versed, being a Jazz musician among other things.]

Which you must attribute credit to the black man. You must also attribute to the White man also that had their more than ample part in it... both to this day.

Since you can't interview dead people & most of the original Country legends are dead...as are Jazz, Classical, etc. I would consider everything Burns does as a Documentary.

that's how I look at all of this. Most of the Jazz stuff I knew and I'm sure Country musicians know all the his latest.

I heard an interview last week he did on this and he credits C&W as being "American" and telling the story and actually being the true American Art form....more than Jazz.

It ain't a competition but he never played the "thank a brother" card.

1 hour ago, MarkG said:

It ain't a competition but he never played the "thank a brother" card.

Mark, 

sure, you can't do a documentary on jazz without giving the brothers credit, i'll grant you that. they were all more than happy to be interviewed. (if still breathing). but Burns is wrong when he says country is the true American art form when its Appalachian roots are steeped in traditional Irish/European  music and instruments. "Jazz" was historically too good a subject for even him to eff up.

if a documentary is done on baseball and not one living white player is interviewed, i'll  have to disagree with you. everyone of his documentaries - go back and watch them all -  "played the card" and he had a field day with Thomas Jefferson. it became unwatchable.

you're a musician, so i'm not addressing you here: but anybody that needs to have Hank Williams, Bill Monroe or Johnny f'n Cash explained to them isn't going to be able to discern Burn's overall bias.  in today's climate, you can't become a PBS millionaire without it.