BrianBM

Missile forensics

Rate this topic

56 posts in this topic

The various military websites I like to visit are coming up with pictures of fragments of drones.  Supposedly one cruise missile suffered a mechanical failure and crashed. Informative bits and pieces like circuit boards of missiles and drones have been found, and there are alleged to be at least some radar tracks of the missiles as they came in. The technical intelligence people will be busy and happy for awhile. 

Cruise missiles and high-end drones are no longer restricted to first tier military industrial powers. If you have the cash, you can purchase them from any number of nations.  But even if the weapons weren't made in Iran, it's hard to see anyone save Iran or a proxy with a motive to fire them at a Saudi economic choke point. 

Now what? Do the Saudis start seizing tankers that have turned off their transponders? That might be reasonable. Do they have the capacity? If you need satellite coverage to spot the tankers that cut their transponder signal, I'm sure we (or the Israelis) would be happy to provide the data. 

I think we should go to the Iranians. Strike that, run to the Iranians and ask them nicely to stop scaring us. This is very important stuff here. Brian I don't mean to make light of your obvious concerns here. I am completely prepared to believe you are totally concerned. We should, with head down, capitulate and beg those nasty little scumbags to give us a second chance here. Kerry could smooth this over very nicely I believe. We make some payments, we look aside a few places, we don't ask to verify nothing, and suddenly they become just as well mannered and pleasant as thy were under a real leader, Obama. He had them scared to death of what he might say in retaliation. Bring him back and that will save us all. Them Iranians really respect Nobel Peace Prize winners. Sure do, just ask them.

10 mins ago, dena said:

Whatever Trump does, it will be wrong.

So just wait until he reacts, and condemn it.

Why not let the Saudis do something? 

Not that I disagree with you about Trump. If it can be made worse ....  ;)

2 mins ago, FishinMortician said:

I think we should go to the Iranians. Strike that, run to the Iranians and ask them nicely to stop scaring us. This is very important stuff here. Brian I don't mean to make light of your obvious concerns here. I am completely prepared to believe you are totally concerned. We should, with head down, capitulate and beg those nasty little scumbags to give us a second chance here. Kerry could smooth this over very nicely I believe. We make some payments, we look aside a few places, we don't ask to verify nothing, and suddenly they become just as well mannered and pleasant as thy were under a real leader, Obama. He had them scared to death of what he might say in retaliation. Bring him back and that will save us all. Them Iranians really respect Nobel Peace Prize winners. Sure do, just ask them.

Cheer up. We may get either or both of a war, into which we will be dragged; or a serious worldwide economic crisis.  But as long as we get to say THAT'LL show Obama!, it's cheap at the price.

President Trump likes to complain that his predecessors should have dealt (somehow) with North Korea and the Kims. His successor, if he or she takes a page from Trump's book, will be entitled to claim that Trump took a runaway train and installed nukes on it. 

11 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Cheer up. We may get either or both of a war, into which we will be dragged; or a serious worldwide economic crisis.  But as long as we get to say THAT'LL show Obama!, it's cheap at the price.

President Trump likes to complain that his predecessors should have dealt (somehow) with North Korea and the Kims. His successor, if he or she takes a page from Trump's book, will be entitled to claim that Trump took a runaway train and installed nukes on it. 

Now now Brian....you are just a little too fired up here. We all know Clinton gave them special missile technology so when they aimed at us they didn't accidentally take out Canada. We know that Obama was in secret negotiations and they were terrified of what he might say in anger.

Look I am willing to jump up and down with you. When should we start ?

16 mins ago, BrianBM said:

Why not let the Saudis do something? 

Not that I disagree with you about Trump. If it can be made worse ....  ;)

I thought the Saudis killed that Obama friend journalist, and did 9-11, and thus not to be trusted?

We are to trust them to take care of another Muslim, in favor of the infadel?

What exactly should be done here, and how can we twist it to make Trump look bad?

Even if they were assembled in Iran, I'll bet they were all full of "Made in China" parts, just as ours are.  I can't but think of the opening for the "Battlestar Galactica" reboot, one day China will flip a switch and all of out stuff will just fall out of the sky!

This is the Liberals last hope for Trump not getting reelected.....and economic crisis caused by the usual savages in the middle east ****hole attacking each other like usual.

I'm sure there are millions of Liberals just hoping Saudi Arabia attacks Iran, their fingers are crossed.

14 hours ago, BrianBM said:

The various military websites I like to visit are coming up with pictures of fragments of drones.  Supposedly one cruise missile suffered a mechanical failure and crashed. Informative bits and pieces like circuit boards of missiles and drones have been found, and there are alleged to be at least some radar tracks of the missiles as they came in. The technical intelligence people will be busy and happy for awhile. 

Cruise missiles and high-end drones are no longer restricted to first tier military industrial powers. If you have the cash, you can purchase them from any number of nations.  But even if the weapons weren't made in Iran, it's hard to see anyone save Iran or a proxy with a motive to fire them at a Saudi economic choke point. 

Now what? Do the Saudis start seizing tankers that have turned off their transponders? That might be reasonable. Do they have the capacity? If you need satellite coverage to spot the tankers that cut their transponder signal, I'm sure we (or the Israelis) would be happy to provide the data. 

I believe the GCC is well dialed-in on this.

I would like the US to stay out of it "militarily". Sanctions are fine.

Saudi Arabia is not the paper tiger we've been lead to believe.

I tend to believe that Israel would happily provide technical support in the capacity that you mention.

I do remember in the 80's that France was vilified for selling exocet missiles to anyone with the wallet-size.

Cruise missiles are fairly large by comparison, but I am not well read on the subject.

Could you provide a link to the cruise missile article you reference?

Yesterday's NYT, alas. The other link was on an ad-supported site out of Israel, Defense-update dot com.  A link would violate SOL rules, but the site's easy enough to find.

Sometimes the site will be static for awhile, then you get a rush of new articles.  This week D-U has had several pieces within a few days. Follow the links for a photo of the cruise missile that was probably used.