coastalfreak

Least favorite part of fishing?

Rate this topic

146 posts in this topic

Hard to choose, but I'd have to say number one is garbage. Nothing better than a walk through nature until you encounter a full garbage bag shoved in jetty rocks.

Poachers, mosquitos/biting flies/ticks, dirty/weedy water and cleaning up are close behind.

41 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Another good one. I hate the prep and after-care.

After the 1 1/2 hr ride, the thought have having

to take care of a kayak also,is probly the

main reason I don't own one. Wish I had pulled

the trigger on one when I was younger.

1 hour ago, JoeyZac said:

Cleaning the boat.  Hate cleaning the boat.  Usually wash the blood and bait off to keep it somewhat sanitary, but other than that, you can keep the waxing/buffing/polishing to shiny sparkle BS.  I want nothing to do with it.

Number 1 reason I won't go fishing with other people is that I'm not going to clean their boat when we're done.  I'll pay for gas, clean the gear, do one hell of a job filleting the fish, but cleaning the boat?  Nah, screw that.

This is another good one. I'll scrub with some boat soap if things get nasty,

but otherwise it's just getting a rinse down. Some guys spend an hour using 10 different cleaners/brushes for purely aesthetic reasons.

11 mins ago, C.Robin said:

This is another good one. I'll scrub with some boat soap if things get nasty,

but otherwise it's just getting a rinse down. Some guys spend an hour using 10 different cleaners/brushes for purely aesthetic reasons.

Yep, it's no fun when the boat stinks so bad that it's covered with flies, but aside from preventing that, I have no interest in putting effort into aesthetics.

I fully understand why someone would want to keep their crafts (boat and car) looking fine, but I simply don't have enough class for such concepts. :)

Heading to a specific spot, airing down, driving on to the beach just to find that the shorebirds get that section of beach or that a storm created an impasse and you have to turn around, air up and find a different place to go. 

While we all love fishing I agree on several common threads here:

1st, people not respecting the resource, leaving trash and not respecting fish by handeling them improperly. You're trying to enjoy the resource, you have the respobsibility to take care of it.

2nd, the 2 1/2 hour drive home then cleaning up. If I have the next day off, it cool. If I need to get up again at 0 dark 30 to start the work week again, it's tough.

JD

12 hours ago, coastalfreak said:

Tying knots and rigs for me. Lol.

Saw this in the web today where the interviewers fishermen to see what their least favorite part of fishing was. Thoughts?

I enjoy tying knots. Knots in general but rigs as well. Worst part for me is definitely getting home and cleaning, organizing and repacking my gear before I do anything else when all i want to do is take a shower and go to sleep.

It was worse during my diving/spearfishing days but its still a pain.

Take care of your gear and your gear will take care of you. 

8 hours ago, JoeyZac said:

Yep, it's no fun when the boat stinks so bad that it's covered with flies, but aside from preventing that, I have no interest in putting effort into aesthetics.

I fully understand why someone would want to keep their crafts (boat and car) looking fine, but I simply don't have enough class for such concepts. :)

This explains your fishing pants...............:manpig:

Definitely has to be seeing people leave trash and seeing people poach game. With that being said I'll pick that trash up and be on the phone with Fish and Game ASAP; if you break the law you pay the price.