patabate

Rigged eels with circle hooks? Anyone try em?

Rate this topic

91 posts in this topic

If inline circle hooks are required for bait fishing for striped bass I’m assuming that they must be used on rigged eels. Somewhere there’s some creative surfcasters who have tried circles on riggies or who are about to. I think that the gap between the eel body and hook point is critical. Maybe the hooks can be sewn to the exterior of the eels body. 

Any experiences, successes, failures or ideas are welcome. 

Circle hooks don’t have to be used other than for bait and wait situations. Casting and retrieving rigged eels you can still use regular j hooks. 

1 hour ago, leo1234 said:

Circle hooks don’t have to be used other than for bait and wait situations. Casting and retrieving rigged eels you can still use regular j hooks. 

Can you refer me to where it says that. Thanks

I don't think a single hook would qualify as an "artificial lure" - even if you intend to cast and retrieve it :read:

If you stick an eel on a hook, whether the hook is tied to the eel or not, it's very likely going to be considered bait...otherwise you could stick a bunker chunk on a hook and when busted just say you were fishing it like a lure, you just like to fish them very, very slow...like moving it every ten minutes ;)

TimS

6 mins ago, TimS said:

I don't think a single hook would qualify as an "artificial lure" - even if you intend to cast and retrieve it :read:

If you stick an eel on a hook, whether the hook is tied to the eel or not, it's very likely going to be considered bait...otherwise you could stick a bunker chunk on a hook and when busted just say you were fishing it like a lure, you just like to fish them very, very slow...like moving it every ten minutes ;)

TimS

That's why you have to use tin squids or a point jude woble head

6 mins ago, Big Biscuit said:

That's why you have to use tin squids or a point jude woble head

In that case you are legitimately attaching the eel to an 'artificial lure' and would be allowed according to the screen shot :th:

TimS

17 hours ago, leo1234 said:

So they are saying that if i put a piece of bait say on a buck tail it would be considered a lure? Or ok to use it in that manner 

They are saying if you put bait on a lure to be fished like a lure that you don't need to use circle hooks :)

TimS