DEM Parking Lot

Long vs short rod for jetty plugging

Rate this topic

37 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

As the title says;

I currently use a 10 foot lami for jetty inlet plugging but find it kind of cumbersome trying to land fish and handling a long rod with my t-rex arms.

I was thinking about downsizing to a 9 footer moderate-fast for jetty plugging.  Would I be sacrificing anything besides distance?  i.e. plugging action?

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Depending on how fast the rod is and what you’re throwing, working plugs can be uncomfortable and feel impossible. You won’t notice any change in distance from what i’ve Experienced. I would say if you are going with a faster rod, stay 10ft+. Shorter rods that are on the faster side make it hard to work and feel plugs

I have several custom rods that were made for certain inlet that are 7' 9" & 8' I think the main reason the builders made that length was so then fit diagonal in a 6' pickup bed. Ether way I kind of retired them cause a-Loomis wont sell blanks anymore and b- the friend that built them is no longer alive and they became very dear to me. Now I fish 8'8" and 9' 6' air waves.

Nice rods but, leadering a big fish is no way as easy with the longer rods

Landing a fish while solo with a 9ft on the rocks is much easier than a 10'+. You will most likely sacrifice some distance but thats the trade off. I will fish my 10'6" beach rod if Im on a beach front jetty but I switch to my stiff 9ft if Im in in an inlet

Great info and thank you all for responding.

Just needed some opinions before I jump the gun on a 9' 2G PRO.

I'm mainly drifting plugs in the outflow of an inlet, so distance isn't too of a concern for me.

Edited by DEM Parking Lot

Landing technique is what matters most when landing fish, regardless of the rod's length, the technique should be consistent and effective.  A 10' rod is a staple length for fishing a jetty.  I also use lengths up to 11'6" which assist greatly in navigating fish up, over and around rocks, steering bucktails around obstacles and controlling fish from the top of larger jetties.  Depending on the area, I mostly find 9' rods too short for larger inlet jetties.

Edited by DeepBlue85

Opinions are like you know what, :moon:.   As for me, I am also a believer in 9' rods for jetties.  You're already way off the beach so distance isn't an issue.

4 mins ago, Spigola said:

Opinions are like you know what, :moon:.   As for me, I am also a believer in 9' rods for jetties.  You're already way off the beach so distance isn't an issue.

Disagree with that statement, but I suppose you prefaced you're self beforehand so carry on.

4 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Disagree with that statement, but I suppose you prefaced you're self beforehand so carry on.

Don't start a pissing contest.  If you didn't understand the meaning of my statement, you need to ask around to some of us older folks what it means.  I wasn't insinuating anything about you or your opinion.  It is just a general statement often used by people who have been around the block a few times.

On 9/17/2019 at 1:37 PM, DEM Parking Lot said:

Great info and thank you all for responding.

Just needed some opinions before I jump the gun on a 9' 2G PRO.

I'm mainly drifting plugs in the outflow of an inlet, so distance isn't too of a concern for me.

Lami 9' 2G RPO ? Isn't it like 1-3 rating? No way it will work well for jetty unless you are just targetting porgies and cocktails. You'll something with a bit more lifting power so you don't have to go down to retrieve every single hook up. At least something like 2-6 with some muscle in the blank to lift a short sideways. 

13 mins ago, Spigola said:

Don't start a pissing contest.  If you didn't understand the meaning of my statement, you need to ask around to some of us older folks what it means.  I wasn't insinuating anything about you or your opinion.  It is just a general statement often used by people who have been around the block a few times.

Pissing contest? I was engaging in dialogue, dont be so crumudgeoned its getting old these days.

Edited by DeepBlue85

39 mins ago, DeepBlue85 said:

Pissing contest? I was engaging in dialogue, dont be so crumudgeoned its getting old these days.

Duh, you mean curmudgeon?  OK kid.  Bye bye.