coastalfreak

Anyone else a saltwater panfisherman?

Rate this topic

22 posts in this topic

I was listening to a Salt Strong podcast and they mentioned how fun Whiting (Kingfish in the North) are on light tackle, and I realized how they are right. I love fishing with light tackle for stuff like croakers, kingfish, grunts, porgies, etc. Anybody else into this? 

I do it off a pier at slack tide. The first strike by a large whiting on light tackle bends the rod and the line zips out. Also the sheepshead on a 3/8 jig is a good time.

19 mins ago, coastalfreak said:

I was listening to a Salt Strong podcast and they mentioned how fun Whiting (Kingfish in the North) are on light tackle, and I realized how they are right. I love fishing with light tackle for stuff like croakers, kingfish, grunts, porgies, etc. Anybody else into this? 

When I surf fish with sand fleas I use light tackle when possible. I also use tiny jigs, light rods and reels at the inlets and catch a variety of things like pompano, look downs, flounder, trout, mackerel etc etc. Super fun. But man when a snook hits you gotta finesse that stuff. whoo boy...

Jigging porgies has become one of my favorite summer/early fall past times.  Light .5-1 oz jigs with a small treble hook in like 20-30 feet of water.  

Porgies and Kingfish on light gear are loads of fun - and damned good eats !!

Give me the choice between those and either tiny bass or blues and I'm going after the panfish every time

I fish for everything.

Last week, I spent Tuesday offshore, where we tagged a thresher shark in the 225-250 pound class.

The next day, my wife and I soaked clams inside, and put a bunch of blowfish and the largest kingfish I've ever seen in the cooler.

It's all good.  And the deep-fried blowfish tails were excellent..

yes. not only fun but a majority are delicious. Some of the most enjoyable fishing for me is sitting on a patch reef in the Keys with a bag of a chum and some jigs and pieces of bait. you never know what is going to show up. 

from shore up here , kingfish, blow fish winter flounder (when they were around) snapper blues etc.  all enjoyable with light tackle.

38 mins ago, CWitek said:

I fish for everything.

Last week, I spent Tuesday offshore, where we tagged a thresher shark in the 225-250 pound class.

The next day, my wife and I soaked clams inside, and put a bunch of blowfish and the largest kingfish I've ever seen in the cooler.

It's all good.  And the deep-fried blowfish tails were excellent..

Definitely a lot of giant kingfish around FI this year. Caught some fluking while missing several unmistakable hits so started targeting em with 3" gulps on 2/0 hooks in the surf. Could catch as many as you want some days.