Pierce

Mono Color for Surf

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Hi,

I used Mono lines on all my reels for surf fishing.  Is there any particular color that seem to work best during day or night fishing?  Currently, I only use clear & red color for my Mono lines.  Any feedback will be much appreciate, thank you.

I’d go with Ahab on this one. I've used braid and mono in fluorescent yellow and green, red, moss green, blue, white, pink, and I don't think it matters, because I always have a clear leader, either a foot or two of fluorocarbon or mono if I go to 80lbs. I wondered about line color for years and didn't find a real difference when using a fluorocarbon leader. If you tied on directly to the line it could be a different story.

One post I read said Ande pink was the least detectable in water.  The conversation was about optical density of monofilament line in water.

I have fished ande pink and clear, and trilene green and never noticed a difference. I always used a leader that was clear mono or clear floro especially in clear water. The clearer the water the thinner the leader too. That to me made a difference. 

I've been almost exclusively using green mono for the last two years. I truly don't believe the fish care. Hell I've even used that for albies and still didn't notice anything. Fish whatever you like/prefer!

5 mins ago, Dave S said:

I like to splice my mono with different colors every 50 yards to know when I'm reaching 150 yards on my cast. :th:

I like your idea of splicing every fifty yard..What knot do you use to join the mono ??? Very good idea...

18 mins ago, sytheteacher said:

I like your idea of splicing every fifty yard..What knot do you use to join the mono ??? Very good idea...

Get a color pack of sharpies and mark it if you're really interested in the distance.

heat splice the different sections of line together. I like to use shrink tubing over the splice to keep it from catching up on the guides and it also gives me something to feel if I'm distance casting in the dark. 

Whatever color matches your purse.

Seriously, it doesnt matter. I've used it all, and never saw a difference. Once you put that 3+ ft leader on there it doesnt matter.

Color matter only if you are fishing in shallow, clear water.  If it's deeper water, there's very low visibility, so fish can't see differentiate between neon pink and clear colors.

I use green color or clear colors for shallow water.