Chipnice

Corrosion protection

Rate this topic

13 posts in this topic

Any advice on how to protect fishfinder connectors for winter storage ?  Some kind of spray or gel to seal out the Esther and stem corrosion whil unplugged and exposed to salt air?

On 9/17/2019 at 6:30 AM, Captain Ahab said:

Dielectric grease 

I design communications equipment that gets installed outdoors.  We use dielectric grease on our connections.  Holds up very well in our salt spray testing.

I would be careful with the dielectric grease depending on the connector type. I used it on my Lorwerance FF connectors and they will not stay in. Worked great on my old FF connectors that had a screw on collar but the new FF plugs just push in and the grease causes them to pop out like there is an air bubble in there. 

for the connectors from the boat wiring end I put a silicate pack in a baggy and put the connector ends in there and secure with a rubber band around it. It stops any moisture from forming on them. No moisture means no corrosion. 

....for the fish finder itself, bigger sealable baggie with a silicate pack. Don’t seal it up until it’s been siting indoors for a day. You want it to be room temperature before you seal it up. 

Buy some 656  use on motor ,and electrically... Grease will gather dirt and ruin the connection since your is exposed and needs unplugging and plugin frequently..  plus who wants grease on there cc area .on a hot day it will melt and leave residue ...

I keep a can of Fluid Film on my boat and spray it on anything and everything that needs a little extra protection from corrosion. Have never had a problem with anything I've sprayed. The formula was developed by the Navy during WW2. Also does a great job removing tarnish from aluminum railing and other fittings. You can pick up a can in the Lowes tool area for about $8.