Southcoastphil

Needlefish Tail Questions

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Will those of you who HAVE or DO fish needles (not looking for suppositions;  real-world experiences are what I seek) with various tail configs share your experiences?

What do you like/dislike about:

• Naked
  • Naked Siwash
  • Dressed Siwash
  • Flags

For the last two categories above, please feel free to address materials (bucktails vs feathers vs anything else) and length.

I understand that adding anything to the arse end can decrease casting distance.  With that in mind, I often add a split ring when using flags because it seems to allow the tail to lie flatter against the plug body during a cast.

Do your preferences vary along the lines of:

• Floating vs sinking?
  • Large(r) vs small(er)?
  • Beaches vs boulder fields vs jetties vs outlets vs bays?
  • Big vs small sweep/current?
  • Heavy winds vs calm(er)?
  • Predominant prey species?
  • Early vs mid vs late seasons?
  • (Feel free to add any other variables)

Thanks in advance for taking time to share.

Naked siwash hook or no rear hook at all, depending on size of the needle. I try to avoid second hook/treble on lures because I want to avoid unnecessarily damaging the fish or myself. At this point I have gone hookless on the rear of any lures  that aren’t affected by their removal. I think it’s better for the fish and safer for me. 

1 hour ago, Drew C. said:

Plain ol’ treble. 

PS - cut treble @ the swivel. Split ring at the tail. Barbs are always crushed.

Cut treble for *every* needle?  Why cut as opposed to split ring?

11 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

Cut treble for *every* needle?  Why cut as opposed to split ring?

No, not for every needle. It all depends on if the plug builder used them or not. The plugs are built to a specific spec and you need to adhere to that for optimal performance.  Every builder and plug is different.EX: Beachmaster pretty sure never ever used split rings. Habs did

12 hours ago, zenman said:

Naked siwash hook or no rear hook at all, depending on size of the needle. I try to avoid second hook/treble on lures because I want to avoid unnecessarily damaging the fish or myself. At this point I have gone hookless on the rear of any lures  that aren’t affected by their removal. I think it’s better for the fish and safer for me. 

With all due respect, I have been reading a lot recently how folks don't use rear trebles or single hooks on their plugs. All claim that it has little or no impact on hooking and landing most or all bass that hit the lure. I'll admit that I have tried just one belly treble on plugs sans tail hooks particularly on several different lures including needlefish and can honestly report that I didn't hook up fish nearly as well as a plug with tail hooks.

1 hour ago, jsbergen said:

No, not for every needle. It all depends on if the plug builder used them or not. The plugs are built to a specific spec and you need to adhere to that for optimal performance.  Every builder and plug is different.EX: Beachmaster pretty sure never ever used split rings. Habs did

Use what you want on the plug. I give zero attention to what the builder 'intended' or used. It's about using the plug as I need or want.

I use the split on the back because sometimes (or often) the cut treble will hang on the tail loop. I don't like the extra length that a split ring provides on the belly. 

42 mins ago, VanStaalSteve said:

With all due respect, I have been reading a lot recently how folks don't use rear trebles or single hooks on their plugs. All claim that it has little or no impact on hooking and landing most or all bass that hit the lure. I'll admit that I have tried just one belly treble on plugs sans tail hooks particularly on several different lures including needlefish and can honestly report that I didn't hook up fish nearly as well as a plug with tail hooks.

How about a small sp minnow or mag darter?

2 hours ago, Reed422 said:

How about a small sp minnow or mag darter?

I have to be honest I really like to keep two hooks on a plug that is built for two hooks. I have no problem switching out rear treble for a single though. I’ve used small plugs with only one belly treble and I’ve missed a lot of fish. By putting a single siwash in rear hookups increased dramatically. 

4 hours ago, Drew C. said:

Use what you want on the plug. I give zero attention to what the builder 'intended' or used. It's about using the plug as I need or want.

I use the split on the back because sometimes (or often) the cut treble will hang on the tail loop. I don't like the extra length that a split ring provides on the belly. 

Sure we can all do what we want.  But that doesn’t make it correct.   There is a reason behind a builder not using a split ring.  While it’s certainly true that we can modify any plug we want & never have an issue I would just rather adhere to the plug creators original creation.

I see this ESP true in metal lips.