hhager23

Portable air compressors

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Can anyone recommend one for filling tires coming off the beach? Looking to go from 15psi to 32psi 16" tires. Prefer 12 volt option. Thanks.

I picked up a Smittybuilt at a great price a couple of years ago. The thing is built like a tank. I believe I paid around $50. 

It's $133 on Amazon now. :shock:

It's a great unit and I highly recommend it but you could probably find something that'd work well for less $$. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2019 at 6:04 PM, hhager23 said:

Can anyone recommend one for filling tires coming off the beach? Looking to go from 15psi to 32psi 16" tires. Prefer 12 volt option. Thanks.

I have one I bought from advance auto parts,it was 15 bucks and this was about 18 years ago,they now have an upgraded one and it is like 30 bucks and has 300 psi max air.

has a built in flashlight and pressure gauge which is pretty accurate.

mine has been run over by my wife with her F-150 and still it pumps up anything.

used it on my air springs this afternoon,put in 170 lbs of air.

it too maxes at 300psi.

the model is called slime or green slime since it made by green slime.

I cut off the lighter attachment and added 8 feet of the correct gauge wire,,crimped it together and also added alligator clips to clip directly to my battery.

hated the lighter getting hot.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

4 mins ago, hhager23 said:

How long does it take to fill a tire from these ? Sorry, just ignorant.

with mine,I can fill from a flat tire to 40 psi in about 7-10 minutes and it's beat to hell,cracked and part way see the guts inside.

no way would I pay much more than that for something that will sit in my trunk most times,rather pay low and buy a new rod/reel with what I saved.

not sure how long others take but,I am very happy with mine.

HH

28 mins ago, hhager23 said:

How long does it take to fill a tire from these ? Sorry, just ignorant.

Just used the Smittybuilt a few weeks ago. Blew a tire on the 5th wheel and of course I never checked the spare pre-trip and it was nearly flat. Took that from 15 - 65# in around a minute. It's almost as fast as a regular compressor. 

Whatever you go with, go for the direct battery hook up. Compressors draw some amps, and can blow fuses if you plug into your dashboard dc outlet (colloquially known as “cigarette lighter”).

12 V "Extension cord" helps sometimes too.  Get one that has battery terminal clamps on one end and female 12V "cigarette lighter" on the other side.  Connect direct to battery.

If you can, spring for at least the $125/$150 range models. Most are out of the same chinese factory as the smitty built. Much faster than the cheaper ones so you wont mind doing it as much.